Politics Politics

Juggs said:
American made electric vehicles lose approximately 33% of their charge in cold weather.

That's a great motivator for those in northern states to convert.

Yeah Norway (rich because of oil) offered huge subsidies to people to buy electric cars and even when they are almost free a lot of people reject them. They aren’t viable esp if it’s your only car.

The rapid innovation with stuff like tvs and smartphones leads the dumb to believe that windmills can power plug in cars if we only believe. Physics doesn’t work that way.

And all the $$ spent by the government on this is such a waste. Let the free market figure it out. I suspect someone like Musk will figure out the battery problems

Thrilled we’re no longer an embarrassment on the world stage.

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1501901624943464449?s=21

Say what you will about that robot Mike Pence, have to believe he would be more solomn and reassuring.

It’s so disappointing that the first female VP is this horrible. The only thing she did in congress was yell at kavanaugh and other witnesses and get in trouble for it because it’s not allowed but women on fb were like yaaas queen

Where is our Margaret thatcher

Inflation up 7.9% over the past year!

https://twitter.com/jackikotkiewicz/status/1501915224978477061?s=21

Thank god the Dems had to get on their buses and get out of town before they could spend even more “Covid relief”

Evil gator said:
It’s so disappointing that the first female VP is this horrible. The only thing she did in congress was yell at kavanaugh and other witnesses and get in trouble for it because it’s not allowed but women on fb were like yaaas queen

Where is our Margaret thatcher

I think I said this in the tv thread, but I'm on the 2nd to last season of Veep. She's a fucking train wreck and every decision she makes turns to shit. The entire show and cluster fuck behind the scenes AND in front of cameras is exactly what we see with this administration.

Evil gator said:
Fun story: my family went from middle class to lower class during the last round of inflation. Anyone else?

At this point I don't know what's considered low class or middle class.

I know that those advanced child tax credits the IRS gave us over the year without asking us. I just got a direct deposit from them. Now I have to pay it back because I made too much money to qualify for it. 2nd time the IRS fucked me in one year. It's a bigger shit show than it's ever been.

Juggs said:
Evil gator said:
Fun story: my family went from middle class to lower class during the last round of inflation. Anyone else?

I know that those advanced child tax credits the IRS gave us over the year without asking us. I just got a direct deposit from them. Now I have to pay it back because I made too much money to qualify for it. 2nd time the IRS fucked me in one year. It's a bigger shit show than it's ever been.

I didn't think the child tax credit was based on income. In our 2 income house we were never disqualified. My kids have mostly aged out though. :cry:

This year is the first year in my life that I owe on tax day. :lol: I never adjusted my withholding after my kids got too old for the credit. :lol:

Juggs said:
Evil gator said:

Weird government fucks that shit up. I wonder how many people are going to get in trouble for that?

Yeah it’s hard to tell at the time, my hometown was probably on the lower end. 4 kids one parent trying to scrape by, father who was a decent earner but died young Compared to the rest of the US probably middle class and then lower class. I probably only realize because people who here consider themselves middle class seem wildly rich compared to when I grew up. But inflation destroyed my family economically. I feel terrible for all the people who are in those circumstances because it’s tough and mostly dumb dem policies fault

Evil gator said:
Juggs said:
Evil gator said:

Weird government fucks that shit up. I wonder how many people are going to get in trouble for that?

Yeah it’s hard to tell at the time, my hometown was probably on the lower end. 4 kids one parent trying to scrape by, father who was a decent earner but died young Compared to the rest of the US probably middle class and then lower class. I probably only realize because people who here consider themselves middle class seem wildly rich compared to when I grew up. But inflation destroyed my family economically. I feel terrible for all the people who are in those circumstances because it’s tough and mostly dumb dem policies fault
I'm honestly at terrible judge at shit like that. I grew up in a double wide trailer in the country and growing up my parents probably made about 80k combined and 120k combined by retirement. We didn't have anything fancy, but we didn't lack anything either. Is that middle class or lower middle? But their 401ks being aggressive paid off as well as a small inheritance from my grandma/aunt who died back to back, now their worth is a little over a million with no mortgage on their cabin, but a lot of that income is in annuities and shit.

To this point, I don't think inflation has seriously impacted myself or my brother and his family. It's been more of an annoyance. The cost of materials and availability on things have made my home renovations noticeably more expensive than they should be and by the time I'm done this year, I'll have wiped out my savings just to have a nicer house. Factor in inflation and I'll likely be back to living check to check by the end of the year despite making in the 80s as these monthly bills gradually increase. Add up inflation in all the different areas and it probably cost me an extra $200/mo right now than it did before (groceries is a big part of that I think). But if I stopped buying ammo and going through a shit ton of cigars, I wouldn't notice as much :lol:

Got off topic a bit, so what's the threshold for lower to middle class? Bank account? Income? Income to debt ratio? There are certainly people I would think are lower class, but they're actually just frugal and save everything.

I think if you have skills and/or education in a stable or growing field, inflation isn't that big of a deal. For people without the marketable skills relying on unstable hourly work, savings and investments (like poorer people, older people and/or my widowed mom), its pretty devastating. Also because of how my mom had been raised and how she thought her life would be, she wanted us all to pretend we weren't poor. I babysat for some rich for my hometown people who had gone to Purdue, so that was why I went to Purdue - turns out they inherited their money lol but I just knew I didn't want to be reliant on anyone else who might die.

two skilled working parents (unless they were fuck ups which it doesn't sound like it) would make you middle class juggsy IMO

I never thought about this that much til I moved here and we'd share stories and everyone looked at me like Kenneth on 30 rock when he said he ate squirrels.

also, while you were distracted by war, Biden just let the 20th hijacker for "mental health" to saudi arabia (whom we are begging for oil btw)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10588277/Would-9-11-hijacker-released-Guantanamo-Bay-sent-Saudi-Arabia-mental-treatment.html

and also they're probably extending the airplane mask mandate, to appease flight unions I suppose? I wonder if they are going to turn this into a government scam like the TSA pass to not take off your shoes. $100 to not wear a mask.

Evil gator said:
I think if you have skills and/or education in a stable or growing field, inflation isn't that big of a deal. For people without the marketable skills relying on unstable hourly work, savings and investments (like poorer people, older people and/or my widowed mom), its pretty devastating. Also because of how my mom had been raised and how she thought her life would be, she wanted us all to pretend we weren't poor. I babysat for some rich for my hometown people who had gone to Purdue, so that was why I went to Purdue - turns out they inherited their money lol but I just knew I didn't want to be reliant on anyone else who might die.

two skilled working parents (unless they were fuck ups which it doesn't sound like it) would make you middle class juggsy IMO

I never thought about this that much til I moved here and we'd share stories and everyone looked at me like Kenneth on 30 rock when he said he ate squirrels.

Even those without skills, willingness and a work ethic go a long way. My mom, teacher with a masters. Dad spent 35 years as a truck driver, mostly contracted to USPS hauling mail. Did he want to be sitting in a semi and be away from home a week at a time (the first half of his career) and 3-4 days a week the second half? Fuck no. But what he wanted didn't matter, because he had a family to help support and he was raised to do whatever it took to pay the bills and not rely on anyone else. A lack of that work ethic certainly contributes to a portion of the lower class.

That "unless they were fuckups" really makes me glad I found my current employer. My parents never displayed any bad habits in front of me, always responsible and pretty much hard asses when it came to personal responsibility. And I became an alcoholic anyway. For a while there I was the family fuckup :lol:

Some people can still be fuck ups and earn, my brother in law sold insurance all over Mississippi and was addicted to drugs and alcohol. But for most people it doesn’t work out.

Anyone see this awesome self own by the white house showing gas production going up before Biden took office second chart

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/1501947054259531782?s=21

Florida Senate passes ban on teaching students to feel guilt over history. Lots of angry liberals. Claim he's creating division intentionally and finding problems where they don't exist.

Really, like we didn't see a video of a teacher making white kids apologize to black kids? Of course black liberals don't think white guilt training is real or is a problem.

Juggs said:
Florida Senate passes ban on teaching students to feel guilt over history. Lots of angry liberals. Claim he's creating division intentionally and finding problems where they don't exist.

Really, like we didn't see a video of a teacher making white kids apologize to black kids? Of course black liberals don't think white guilt training is real or is a problem.

I wouldn’t limit it to black liberals. I think a lot of this
Is white guilt idiots, who are scared of a few activists

Evil gator said:
Juggs said:

I wouldn’t limit it to black liberals. I think a lot of this
Is white guilt idiots, who are scared of a few activists

100%, but 2 different motivations. We have black liberals saying white guilt brain washing doesn't exist. White guilt liberals believe in brainwashing that we should feel guilty for it.

The bill also bans teaching that anyone in America is still oppressed

Back