whatcha reading?

I go in and out of the urge for scifi and I'm finally reading the red rising series and man that's good.

Also re-started the expanse

what other series are good I've been missing?

my mom was a huge Asimov fan and belonged to the SF book club so I read all those as a bored kid too, likely while getting skin cancer outside.

It's not really surprising, but it's kind of sad that there are a lot of old books that will probably never get digitized and will just disappear.

Took the wife on a long weekend getaway to Sanibel and Captiva. Ate at Doc Ford's, which is a small west-coast chain of seafood restaurants owned by an author, Randy Wayne White. He had all his novels for sale in the lobby. The food was excellent.

So I bought the audiobook of his first "Doc Ford" novel, Sanibel Flats to listen to on the way back home. I figure it can't be that bad if he wrote 24 books in the series and earned enough money to open a chain of seafood restaurants that feature his main character's name.

It's pretty good so far. A little slow but I'm only about a third of the way through. Seems pretty standard "South Florida detective-adventure novel" stuff.

if you weren't wearing a hawaiian shirt with gators on it I'm going to be disappointed.

I actually own a Hawaiian shirt (and I did wear it) but no gators on it, unfortunately. I did wear my Gator ball cap most of the time, though.

We stayed at Tween Waters Resort but most of the businesses on the islands are still closed - some for good, some still renovating.

Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Saw people discussing it on Twitter. A little bit of a slow start where they introduce a bunch of characters with funny names and I couldn't keep them all straight. But it's settled in, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Pretty good sci-fi.

Started a series from Ben Coes. In the Reacher, Mitch Rapp vein. Read the 1st 3 "Power Down", "Coup d'Etat", and "The Last Refuge". Good stories, lots of characters, pretty high stakes.

The main guy, Dewey Andreas, is sufficiently badass to make it interesting.

If I recall, that one actually kind of drags a bit.

Herbert West: Re-Animator is one of his best, IMO.
Finished it. It was ok. Not much of a story but still kinda interesting. Probably made a bigger impact 90 years ago when it first came out

Got the latest book in the Mitch Rapp series. #23 or 24. Finished it in 3 days, now gotta wait another year for the next one.

Back