USC won't let Holland transfer to Florida

Fuckbeans.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Sources: USC won't let Holland transfer to Florida
BY SCOTT WOLF Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 08/26/2007 10:25:10 PM PDT

USC will not grant a release to former wide receiver Jamere Holland if he wants to transfer to Florida, according to sources.

Holland, who left the team and was dismissed by USC coach Pete Carroll last week, listed Florida as one of five schools on his release form. But USC will not grant the release because Holland's former coach at Taft High of Woodland Hills, Troy Starr, works at Florida as director of football operations.

Their close relationship apparently disturbs some within USC's athletic department who believe Starr and Holland probably communicated before Holland transferred.

Holland could not be reached for comment. Carroll will not comment on Holland' s situation.

"He's not here anymore," Carroll said.

Holland's first choice is Oregon, but USC does not want him to transfer to another Pacific-10 Conference school. Holland could appeal to a university committee of non-athletic department employees, or he could transfer anywhere if he chose to pay the first year's tuition.

USC does not object to a possible transfer of tailback Emmanuel Moody to Florida. Moody has listed North Carolina and Florida as his final two choices.

Twin Towers: Although USC's starting receivers, Patrick Turner and David Ausberry, lack breakaway speed, cornerback Shareece Wright said they are the most difficult players to cover and not just because they are 6-feet-5.
"The Twin Towers, they aren't the fastest, but they know how to beat you, they know how to be sneaky and push off," Wright said. "A speed guy usually depends on that and you know it going in. But they are big and strong and use that against you."

Carroll said Turner could be a big-play receiver even if he is not known for his speed.

"He can do the same things Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett did," Carroll said.

USC vs. Idaho history: This week's game will not be the first meeting between the Trojans and Vandals.

USC's first win at the Rose Bowl (or the Tournament of Roses' Stadium, as it was then known) was against Idaho. The Trojans defeated the Vandals 14-0, in front of 12,500 on Nov. 18, 1922. That was the first USC game against Idaho, as both joined the Pacific Coast Conference that year.

It was a transition year for USC: The first season that would conclude with a Rose Bowl game and the last season that would feature a game at Pomona, USC's first real big rival.

When USC played Idaho in 1925, the game drew 5,000. No USC game since then drew a smaller crowd.

More history: USC's last game against Idaho was in 1929, the same year as its first game against UCLA. USC beat the Bruins 76-0 and Idaho 72-0. Both teams were off USC's schedule by 1931, with the Bruins not returning until 1936.

Days off: Fullback Jody Adewale will not practice on Mondays or Tuesdays because he takes classes to obtain his master's degree in the afternoon. It might be one reason he was listed behind walk-on Adam Goodman on the depth chart as the backup to Stanley Havili.

Home drought: This is the first time USC has opened the season at home since 2002.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6727957
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Seems like we're starting to make Petey Pie a little paranoid.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

How is it that one school even has jurisdiction over where a kid transfers? Can someone explain that to me?
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

How is it that one school even has jurisdiction over where a kid transfers? Can someone explain that to me?

It's an NCAA rule. Other schools can't even contact you unless you get a release. It's supposed to prevent one school from raiding another school's talent.

If'n you don't get a release, you can still transfer, but you can't play for a year.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

^^^

close, Doc.

have to sit out a year anyway (assuming it's a D-1A to D-1A transfer). Just have to sit out one extra year if you transfer to a school that you are not released to.

dhgator

Post by dhgator »

^^^

Just have to sit out one extra year if you transfer to a school that you are not released to.

I think that is true unless you pay your own way. Didn't that kid from Jacksonville (middle linebacker? name escapes me) that transfered to UF from 'Bama do just that when he didn't get a release?
[img]http://i26.;photobucke.com/albums/c123/dhgator/fatguypogostick.gif[/img]
IHateUGAlyDawgs

unfamiliar w/ the story and people get around it all the time.

For instance...transfer from SEC school to D-1AA school (furman, app state, BCC, FAMU, etc.) transfer to SEC school...only sat out one year (even not really a sit out - got to play) and got around non-release (see Brent Scheaffer - though granted a little different since he was dismissed - but you get the point).

All that said, you could be right, dh. I'm not entirely sure now.

apexgator

Post by apexgator »

If he's dismissed from the team how can Carrol still control where he goes?
IHateUGAlyDawgs

he has to be released from his scholarship...in the release they can control where he goes.

From what I've read it sounds like he quit and as a consequence was dismissed.

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I think that is true unless you pay your own way. Didn't that kid from Jacksonville (middle linebacker? name escapes me) that transfered to UF from 'Bama do just that when he didn't get a release?

Was that Travis Carroll?
dhgator

Post by dhgator »

Was that Travis Carroll?

Bingo!
[img]http://i26.;photobucke.com/albums/c123/dhgator/fatguypogostick.gif[/img]

Post by 108 »

Holland won his appeal...not sure UF is still an option though...
"When the power of Love overcomes the love of Power, the world will know peace." - - Jimi Hendrix