Too funny - Steele apologizes to Limbaugh

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
Tipmoose

Post by Tipmoose »

Didn't the press go nuts in 72 when they found that Nixon had an Enemies List?

And yet, now, they not only turn a blind eye, they actively ASSIST the current administration in targeting private citizens who have the temerity to speak their opinions.

Slider was going on and on about Bush and Authoritarian bullshit...well, this seems like TONS more of the same.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
radbag

Post by radbag »

here's a CBS article on the story about rush limbaugh being used as a diversionary tactic by the white house...

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/03/04/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry4842810.shtml
The Republican Party today has launched a counteroffensive to the controversial recent questioning over conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh’s "leadership" of the party -- describe it as a White House diversion attempt.

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) issued a statement Wednesday which said called the controversy a White House “diversionary tactic” without mentioning Limbaugh by name.

“Political operatives in the White House are trying to divert attention away from the challenges facing our economy, the sinking stock market, and the irresponsible spending binge they are presiding over,” the statement read. “In the midst of a deepening recession, White House staff should have higher priorities than this cynical strategy.”

Boehner told reporters Wednesday, “The White House has created this big distraction…No one should be distracted right now.”

good ole matt lauer trying to get his action...lol
On NBC’s ‘Today Show’ this morning, Republican National Committee Chairman Michel Steele told Matt Lauer, “this is a great side-show distraction. You know, there's a lot of popcorn going around for folks who are watching this.”

Steele avoided directly mentioning the controversy in his first several responses until Lauer asked bluntly, “It seems as though Mr. Limbaugh is taunting Republicans like you, though, saying, look, they all agree with me; they're just too gutless to say it. Does Rush Limbaugh put people like you in a very tough position?”

“Look, that's the nature of this job, baby,” Steele said. “And along the way, my opponents, Democrats and even a few others out there, will try to mix us up and get us off track.”

here's a quote about polls since it's so important to some here...
House Minority Whip Eric Cantor also looked to change the subject and criticized Mr. Obama for comparing the stock market to a tracking poll yesterday.

“It’s not a tracking poll. It’s real,” Cantor said today. “The stock market reflects real money, it reflects real loss.”
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

You know...I have no problem really with the Democratic party, bloggers, and left wing orgs demonizing and calling attention to Rush...it's part of the game and it goes both ways. But in my opinion the White House should stay out of it...you didn't see George W calling out Michael Moore every chance he got.

Stay classy BHO and with all that is on your plate, leave the small stuff to others to deal with.
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

^ and hollywood made movies about bush too...i wonder when the BHO movie comes out.

cuba gooding jr perhaps? denzel?
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Just had an interesting conversation about this with a buddy and I came to the conclusion that this type of bullshit noise is incentivized by the system because people react to emotional ploys such as this, rather than forcing themselves to consider the situation rationally. Just my .02
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Just had an interesting conversation about this with a buddy and I came to the conclusion that this type of bullshit noise is incentivized by the system because people react to emotional ploys such as this, rather than forcing themselves to consider the situation rationally. Just my .02
excellent example of it here in the BA as well.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I just think there are MANY people that are closing their eyes and ears and singing "la la la la la" and hoping that when they stop and open their eyes, that everything will be better. I need to try to do that.
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Funny you should mention that m7....I just read a post today about a book called Hanging On, or, How to Get Through a Depression and Enjoy Life, which is an autobiography by Edmond G. Love about his experiences during the Great Depression and how Americans in general reacted:
As the author explains, the depression, at least at its worst, did not happen overnight and the author was not greatly impacted in the early stages. For instance, in September 1929 between graduating high school and starting college the author attended a military school in Missouri for a year. He notes that between semesters some classmates could not afford to return. His father lost most of his money in the Oct 1929 crash, ended up in debt, had to mortgage the lumberyard and came close to bankruptcy (46). However, the author, away at military school was largely unaware of this. Several of the authors' friends fathers also had lost big in the stock market and many people were worried about slow 1930 model car sales.

His family and others families started to cut spending (47). Still, though people were careful, they were still largely optimistic at that time hoping "[t]hings would be better in the spring when people started building houses again. The situation was only temporary" (48).

By June 1930, with the depression 8 months old, "[t]he panic had subsided and the wreckage had been cleared away. Most people could look about them and see just about where they stood." Though the spring had passed "[t]here was an air of puzzlement but the optimism was there, too" with many still expressing the belief that " 'prosperity is just around the corner.’ "

As the author explains (48-49) this idea: "would be repeated and repeated. When the fall had some and gone, people talked about the upturn that would come the next spring. The next spring people would say that the upturn would come in the summer, and so on. The thing is that people really believed this. They had a blind faith in it, and because they did, they set up a pattern of living called 'hanging on.’

If you were in a business, you kept the business going any way you could until the upturn came and things got better. If you had a job, you hung onto it any way you could. You took less money and worked longer hours. Sooner or later things would return to normal. If you were laid off from your job, you hung around close by, so that you'd be able to go back to work[…] This was where the optimism came in. No one that I knew ever thought things would stay bad forever. The silver lining was there somewhere, and it was bound to turn up."
http://www.oftwominds.com/journal09/MB-depression3-09.html

It's a really interesting post--sounds like a solid book too, but I can't vouch for it personally.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

That is interesting AA...I was also wondering today in considering the GD in the 30's...how does our technology in this day and age make things different for us than it was for them. For instance, if you lose your job there are ways to make money in other places without having to pack up and move there. The global economy is more tied together (which may make things worse, I realize). But it's something I haven't read anything about...I'm sure you can find an article on it AA.

Ooops...I've totally steered this thread off topic. Sorry.
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Bahh...this is a much more interesting topic anyway...I'll see if I can find any papers/articles out there on effects of technology on a GD scenario.