Play the Markets Contest is Up!

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
Tipmoose

Post by Tipmoose »

Im in, bitches.

Please don't hurt me, Rad...this lunch money is all I have...please don't take it...
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
radbag

Post by radbag »

LEH rallying off the lows...eatin into the profits.
RickySlade

Post by RickySlade »

Go to this http://www.investopedia.com and create a username. Try and use your same name as on here, so I can keep you all straight.

That could prove quite difficult with one or two members.

I'll be getting in so there will be at least 3 of us. Rather there will be more than two. I don't like the threesome connotations.

I never pegged you as homeaux. I guess you're ZZ Topping it with the wife and kids.
(Tipping a waitress) Here's fifty bucks; take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch later.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Account Value (USD) : $100,267.00
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

LEH rallying off the lows...eatin into the profits.

It's all pop, drop, and chop today. Dow was up a second ago, then went right back in the tank.
radbag

Post by radbag »

it won't let me short more.....some shit about a diversification rule...wtf?!
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Oil took a small fall today.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

what the hell does "short" mean?

I'm at a serious disadvantage in this game...

is there anywhere where I can view all the stock choices and their prices?

radbag

Post by radbag »

what the hell does "short" mean?

I'm at a serious disadvantage in this game...

is there anywhere where I can view all the stock choices and their prices?

short means you sell the stock but you don't own it...it is a bearish position...meaning to say that you are speculating that it will trade lower enabling you to buy it in the future at presumably a cheaper cost...buying cheaper is called 'covering' your short...it's risky as your losses theoretically are unlimited...if the stock you sold skyrockets to infinity, you will have to buy it at infinity to cover your short....
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

^^^^^^^

Wall St Journal

A short is when you sell a stock you don't own. For example, if I think Citgo will take a hit on their stock in a week, I will short the stock by selling it at todays price and the buying it a week later after it takes a dive. So you are kind of taking out a loan by selling the stock that you don't own until you buy those shares at the lower price. It can be dangerous if the stock doesn't preform as you think it will. If the price goes up then you end up losing money. It is basically the reverse of buy low sell high. It's sell high buy low.
Welshgator

Post by Welshgator »

I'm logged in. Can I just cash in my $100k now?
radbag

Post by radbag »

I'm logged in. Can I just cash in my $100k now?

less the commission, you lose.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

all right i'm in. i may just hold my 100k in cash and let the rest of you fokkers lose your money. hahaha
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

i think i just realized how addicting this will be and how much sleep i will now not get as a result. being green to investing in anything other than mutual funds and 401k's, i've got a lot to learn.
radbag

Post by radbag »

we all start somewhere 95

hopefully, this lil simulator gives one the feel and understanding for doing it on your own.

i don't know what's worse...my play one or my real one... sheesh.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

My real one sucks currently, but its all long term money. I've been picking up a ton of RayJay stock of late in my non-qual account.

I was doing good today until the end. I think I'm going to leave all my shorts on though. I think the rally was a headfake.
apexgator

Post by apexgator »

i think i just realized how addicting this will be and how much sleep i will now not get as a result. being green to investing in anything other than mutual funds and 401k's, i've got a lot to learn.

I'm in the same boat. I've dabbled in the stock market but not as much as I have with mutual funds. This is going to give me an education which is a good thing.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

I'd recommend looking at companies that you might deal with in your normal day-to-day lives. Companies where you are familiar with their products cause you buy them or companies you deal with at work. That would be a good start as you would already know a little bit about their business.
apexgator

Post by apexgator »

For some reason I have been unable to access the site this afternoon due to "internal server problems" so I'm not sure on some details but in our contest is there an end date? In other words are we investing for the long term or short term?
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

They are having trouble counting all the money I've made today.
radbag

Post by radbag »

they are having trouble counting all the money i've LOST today
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

i lost $23 today. damn the market gods!!!!!!!

[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/banghead.gif[/img]
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Commissions are a little high IMO. $60 for three trades? Come on, $7 a trade damnit!
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

I'm up $480. I only have $22,000 in the market at this point.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

For some reason I have been unable to access the site this afternoon due to "internal server problems" so I'm not sure on some details but in our contest is there an end date? In other words are we investing for the long term or short term?

I set it to run through Dec 31. If you guys want, I can change that to a shorter time frame, longer time frame, or set it to run indefinitely.