Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

Talent-poor FSU looks like 7-5 team at best
Seminoles' climb back to respectability won't happen overnight

OPINION
By Tom Dienhart

Updated: 11:20 a.m. ET Sept 4, 2007

Tom Dienhart

Bowden Bowl IX went to Clemson 24-18.

Good for Tommy Bowden. But I didn't care who won. The whole Bowden Bowl thing has become a tired story line.

No, I watched to see how the revamped Florida state offense looked.

The verdict: It's the ultimate work-in-progress.

Let's call it a step. OK, it was a "baby" step — but a step in the right direction for the once-proud Seminoles.

The offensive line? Abysmal — but improving. There isn't one receiver to fear. And quarterback Drew Weatherford is what he is ... just an OK guy. Other than that, the Seminoles are ready to roll, baby!

Florida State didn't become Florida International overnight. So, don't expect it to get fixed overnight, no matter how much hype (and money) high-profile newcomers Jimbo Fisher (offensive coordinator) and Rick Trickett (offensive line) have received. These are two of the best in the business who are giving their all. But this offense's problems are bigger than them. Way bigger.

This is a program that had lost 22 games this decade entering 2007. Last year's 7-6 record was Florida State's worst since Bowden's maiden voyage in Tallahassee in 1976.

And who can forget this massive lump of coal from last season: Wake Forest 30, Florida State nada!

If that doesn't turn Chief Osceola's stomach, this thought will: Was 2006 rock bottom? Or — this is your cue to crawl under the bed — is Florida State still in a freefall?

Why have things gotten so bad for what was college football's iconic program of the 1990s? Oh, that's simple: talent.

The defense isn't bad. But the inept offense — Florida State will struggle to run the ball all year — often demoralizes it.

Can't say I blame the lads.

I also know this: Fisher knows what he's doing. Believe me. He can draw up the fanciest schemes in the world. But if dubious talent is trying to execute them, it won't matter.

It's like John Travolta trying to teach Frankenstein how to dance. It ain't gonna happen, folks.

Still, the Seminoles' offense showed some life in the second half of the Clemson game. So, FSU has that going for it.

If the line fails to solidify, I don't see how Weatherford will have time pass and open space for the attack's one difference maker: running back Antone Smith.

If that's the case, I have an idea: Start Xavier Lee at quarterback. Yeah, he may lack the polish/precision of Weatherford, but Lee's ability to make something happen is what this offense needs.

Again, we know what Weatherford is. And he isn't going to get much better. Lee? He's an unrefined product who could be special.

What does Florida State have to lose? Exactly. College football

Michigan's Hart drops after upset loss

By my estimation, there are five ACC teams better than Florida State: Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Miami and Clemson.

Yeah, Clemson, the team that whipped Florida State on Monday. I am happy for Tommy Bowden, but I'm not ready to throw roses at his feet.

I've seen too many of Tommy Boy's seasons start fast and fizzle faster. Still, it's good to see one of college football's good guys get off to a nice start in what is — again — a crossroads campaign for Bowden.

a1bion

Talent Poor FSU

Post by a1bion »

Their pass protection is utter crap.
annarborgator

Talent Poor FSU

Post by annarborgator »

and weatherford would be solid AT BEST with a solid o-line and good WRs...he's laaame without solid protection. doesn't have the talent to overcome the weakness of the o-line, IMO.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Talent Poor FSU

Post by radbag »

x lee is better suited for that offense...they need someone who is a double threat.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Talent Poor FSU

There's a big problem w/ X. Lee...he is DUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMBBBBB.....

At least Weatherford has a chance of reading a blitz and having an OL get in the way for a half second...Lee would have no idea, run around like a chicken w/ it's head cut off and then either throw a pick or get killed by a MLB.

Bottom line is FSU is FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKEEEEEDDDD

TheTodd

Talent Poor FSU

Post by TheTodd »

I'll give them some credit for not packing it in. They fought back pretty well in the 2nd half. It'll be interesting to see if they can build off of that or repeat basically what they've done for the past two years, been very inconsistent.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
G8rMom7

Talent Poor FSU

Post by G8rMom7 »

I agree with ihate in regards too XLee...they just haven't recruited well the last few years. And while this isn't the only reason, Urban being able to hand pick the best players in the state (and country) has only hurt F$U. I mean the Gators are hot right now when it comes to sports. Look at kids like the Pounceys and CJ Spiller...they grew up idolizing F$U and yet because F$U has been in this downward spiral, they turned their back on their childhood dream. They are just screwed. And I honestly don't see it turning around for them as long as UF is kicking butt and taking names. Here's to hoping that will last for many years to come!
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Talent Poor FSU

Post by radbag »

fsu = 5th best in state.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Talent Poor FSU

as much as I'd like that to be true, they're still better than UCF.