Erectile Dysfunction Ads on TV

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I'm not sure how I feel about this because it is annoying to hear all the disclaimers for these ads, but then again, the gov't are the ones that made them include them in the ads in the first place. Now they're trying to make it impossible for them to run the ads all together. LOL. Fortunately, Lainie is the only one who has a clue as to what an erection is but it's a small clue. From 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.? But they allow for ads for horror movies to go on at 8 PM (those are the ones that drive me nuts!)

Anyway, talk amongst yourselves...

Advocacy
Moran Bill = Dysfunctional Legislation Syndrome

Congressman Jim Moran (D-VA) recently reintroduced H.R. 2175, The Families for ED Advertising Decency Act. This legislation imposes a sweeping ban on the airing of all ads for medications to combat erectile dysfunction (ED) between the hours of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Congressman Moran states that these broad restrictions are necessary to protect children from the “indecent” warnings aired during these ads.
The bill ignores the fact that the so-called “indecent” language must be aired because the government requires it. The government simply cannot force companies to serve as a megaphone for their messages and then punish them for it by drastically restricting their speech. The U.S. Supreme Court has made crystal clear that even where the subject of ads could be claimed to be “embarrassing” or “offensive” to some segment of the audience that fact does not authorize government bans or restrictions.
The bill also overlooks the ads’ important health benefits. These ads have encouraged many men to visit their doctor, whereupon other serious and unsuspected health conditions like severe high blood pressure and diabetes were discovered. We hope that Congress does not enact this counterproductive and unconstitutional proposal.
By the way, this is from an ANA newsletter I get (Associaion of National Advertisers).
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Jim Moran is a corrupt anti-Semite.

But aside from that, I often wonder how the Enzyte (Smilin' Bob) ads keep running. That company went under a while ago after the feds went after 'em. I think the CEO may even be in prison.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

My thing is this: if my junk's not working, I'm probably already sitting in the doctor's waiting room--not sitting on my couch, watching TV and hoping for the best. :cowboy:

Also, ALL drug commercials drive me nuts...I don't think people need that shit pushed on them...we're already a nation of damned pill poppers.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

agree with AA.

if you're going to ban those ads, then ban all the pill ads. Also, please ban the tampon, midol, etc ads. I don't need to hear about that crap either.

If you're going to allow one, allow them all...otherwise, ban them all.

G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Okay, so you all don't buy the crap about it encouraging people to go to the doctor where they may find other untreated illnesses that could save their life?

I know that's what the pharmaceutical companies are "selling", but I happen to be one of those people that goes to the doctor frequently enough...before I needed an ad to prompt me to do so. I think if Bill ever got ED, he's just look at me and say "sorry". He HATES the doctor and I don't think the motivation of getting a little blue pill would be enough for him anyway. :)
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

i hate commercials and that's why i am an xm/sirius subscriber
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

No, I definitely don't buy that nonsense, m7.

I think we as a society have bred a world of hypochondriacs, however.