The Wall Street White House (aka Banks own .gov con'td)

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

LMMFAO these fucks call for change...transparency...they are like magicians who get you focused on some distraction and then you don't notice the sleight of hand they're performing by maintaining the status quo at every turn:
Robert Hormats, Vice Chairman of Goldman Sachs, is to be installed as Under Secretary of Economics, Business, and Agricultural Affairs. This comes as one more, probably unnecessary reminder of the total control exercised by Wall Street over the Obama administration’s economic and financial policy. True, Hormats is “a talker rather than a decider” according to one former White House official, but he will find plenty of old friends used to making decisions, almost all of them uniformly disastrous for the U.S. and global economy.

Among the familiar Wall Street faces that Hormats will encounter in his new post will that of Deputy Secretary of State Jacob Lew, lately Chief Financial Officer of Citigroup Alternative Investments Group which lost $509 million in the first quarter of 2008 alone. On visits to the White House he is sure to bump into Michael Froman, who also tore a swath through the Citi balance sheet at the alternative investments shop (they specialized in “esoteric” investments such as private highways) but is now Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser for International Economic Affairs. If Froman is otherwise engaged, Hormats can interface with Froman’s deputy, David Lipton, who was until recently running Citi’s global country risk management effort.

Citigroup is also well represented at Treasury, in the form of Lewis Alexander, formerly the bank’s chief economist and now Counselor to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. Given the role played by all of the above in bankrupting us all, Alexander’s 2007 verdict on the onset of the mortgage crash, “I think that’s not going to spill more broadly into the economy and so I think we’re going to have a normal kind of housing cycle though the middle of this year,” can only have been a recommendation in the eyes of his current employer.
{. . .}
Recent reports suggest that financial industry lobbying in Washington, at $104.7 million for the first three months of 2009, is 8% down on last year.[/size]
http://www.counterpunch.org/andrew07022009.html

Simply mindblowing. $400million+ in lobbying efforts on an annualized basis....that's some serious scratch right there...no wonder the .gov is entirely captured by the banking fucks.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Is this the change you were hoping for slider?
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Lobbying goes on on both sides. I simply wish there were a way to curtail it or cut it off completely. It's abundantly clear that money rules the world and he who has the money makes the rules.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

We need to rewrite the lobbying laws to first cutoff any sway that groups have...corporations, associations, PACs, etc...the only people who should be able to discuss legislation with the people's representatives are the people themselves. If you can't walk into a voting booth on election day and pull a lever, you get to STFU or it's automatically considered political corruption because an entity without a vote does not deserve a say in the governance of the people.

That's the basic thought I've had about lobbying...I agree that it goes on on both sides and from all industries...industries shouldn't have lobbies is the simple answer. I'm shocked at how big the finance lobby is compared to most other lobbies, though.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Hey - to the victor goes the spoils. If you have the resources to outstay, outspend, outdo your competitors, do it. The yankees aren't gonna pass on a big ticket FA just because the A's can't afford to pay.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

The victor? Lobbying $$ should not affect the outcome...
radbag

Post by radbag »

having the money...to the victor goes the spoils...if you have it, use it.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Hence the reason the whole system is so corrupt. The only way to counteract the money would be with laws against lobbying, however, without a wholesale change in DC that ain't happening anytime soon.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

having the money...to the victor goes the spoils...if you have it, use it.
Money should not equal speech. We'd be much better off if we idolized truth rather than your money.
radbag

Post by radbag »

i'm just sayin - the truth don't pay the bills.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Bills are soooo 20th century, bro. You're livin' in the past.

And besides, politicians shouldn't be worried about their bills (in this case the $$ for their next round of campaign ads)...they should be worried about serving the people. Or do you not agree that public servants should exist to serve the public?