The abyss stares back

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
annarborgator

The abyss stares back

Post by annarborgator »

Among the questions that disturb the sleep of many casual observers is how come Mr. O doesn't get that the conventional process of economic growth -- based, as it was, on industrial expansion via revolving credit in a cheap-energy-resource era -- is over, and why does he keep invoking it at the podium? Dear Mr. President, you are presiding over an epochal contraction, not a pause in the growth epic. Your assignment is to manage that contraction in a way that does not lead to world war, civil disorder or both. Among other things, contraction means that all the activities of everyday life need to be downscaled including standards of living, ranges of commerce, and levels of governance. "Consumerism" is dead. Revolving credit is dead -- at least at the scale that became normal the last thirty years. The wealth of several future generations has already been spent and there is no equity left there to re-finance.
If contraction and downscaling are indeed the case, then the better question is: why don't we get started on it right away instead of flogging rescue plans to restart something that is DOA? Downscaling the price of over-priced houses would be a good place to start. This gets to the heart of Rick Santelli's crowd-stirring moment. Let the chumps and weasels who over-reached take their lumps and move into rentals. Let the bankers who parlayed these fraudulent mortgages into investment swindles lose their jobs, surrender their perqs, and maybe even go to jail (if attorney general Eric Holder can be induced to investigate their deeds). No good will come of propping up the false values of mis-priced things.
No good, in fact, will come of a campaign to sustain the unsustainable, which is exactly what the Obama program is starting to look like. In the folder marked "unsustainable" you can file most of the artifacts, usufructs, habits, and expectations of recent American life: suburban living, credit-card spending, Happy Motoring, vacations in Las Vegas, college education for the masses, and cheap food among them. All these things are over. The public may suspect as much, but they can't admit it to themselves, and political leadership has so far declined to speak the truth about it for them -- in short, to form a useful consensus that will allow us to move forward effectively. One of the sad paradoxes of politics is that democracies do not seem very good at disciplining their citizens' behavior. The wish to please voters and the influence of campaign money overwhelm even leaders with mature instincts. In America's case, this could lead to what I like to call corn-pone Naziism a few years down the road. Someone will design snazzy uniforms and get us all marching around to "God Bless America." At the point of a gun.
It's not too late for President Obama to start uttering these truths so that we can avoid a turn to fascism and get on with the real business of America's next phase of history -- living locally, working hard at things that matter, and preserving civilized culture. What a lot of us can see now staring out of the abyss is a new dark age. I don't think it's necessarily our destiny to end up that way, but these days we're not doing much to avoid it.
http://jameshowardkunstler.typepad.com/

Our way of life is changing, whether we like it or not. Unfortunately we don't seem ready to recognize the changes and adapt. Hope we don't run this sucker aground before we get her turned.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
Tipmoose

The abyss stares back

Post by Tipmoose »

Run her aground??? Dude...we've hit the iceberg and have filled the rafts with the aristocracy. All thats left is to let the band play.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
radbag

The abyss stares back

Post by radbag »

if we get her turned or not, many a lesson will be learned about the last 3 years and the next few years to come...i foresee 8th grade history class chapters in the year 2040 dedicated to the topic of excesses in the 90's and the early 2000s.
Tipmoose

The abyss stares back

Post by Tipmoose »

...and those history books will all be written in either Spanish, Arabic, or Chinese.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
annarborgator

The abyss stares back

Post by annarborgator »

I believe it's still theoretically possible to save the republic, although I fully appreciate tip's perspective (especially when you consider our realistic cultural and political roadblocks). If enough folks came out and said, hey gov't, shut the fuck up with the bullshit, let's find out exactly who fucked up and who lied and run them out and replace the whole fucking system with a new way of doing things.

Of course, that's only if you could (1) get enough people to come together to give enough of a damn to make their voice heard and (2) you could find enough folks who aren't outright crooks to come in and rewrite the system to get rid of the lies, cheating and ponzi bullshit that we've built everything on top of for the last 2-3 decades. I'm not sure that's possible at this point, to be honest, because politicians as a whole seem to be wholly incapable of acknowledging the truth when it hurts. Our democratic values of this great nation unfortunately amplify this shortcoming by reducing elected leaders to panderers, when sometimes the public needs a good lashing. No, it doesn't need to be cruel and the transition should be handled by the government where necessary.

We don't need to keep throwing money at Citi. The market doesn't need Citi to function, the market just needs solid banks. Doesn't have to be Citi. AIG is going to file bankruptcy, even after we saved them. How much of those credit default swaps are now on the government's balance sheet because we were too pussy to let them fail when they should have? And how much more will we lose on the continued bailing out of our corrupt and insolvent major financial institutions? (I'm looking at you C and BofA)

Obama needs to realize that the market is ready to crush him like a bug if it sees fit. The government can't control the market, especially not with lies. It just doesn't work. The stress tests are lies. All the bullshit back and forth between Citi and treasury et al is packed with lie after lie.

Are the citizens just too dumbed down to realize or care at this point?
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.