you know it's bad when starbucks starts selling 'coffee' for less than a buck

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
radbag

Post by radbag »

instant coffee?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/17/news/companies/starbucks_instant/?postversion=2009021716

Starbucks' instant gratification for $1

The coffee chain announces the release of 'Via' Ready Brew, an effort to attract penny-pinchers back to the brand.

By Catherine Clifford, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: February 17, 2009: 4:06 PM ET
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Starbucks, home of the $4 latte, has introduced a new product to keep cash-strapped consumers sipping its brew.

The coffee chain said Tuesday that it would soon start offering instant coffee for less than a buck a cup.

But don't expect any barrista to serve you up a brew because you'll have to mix the beverage yourself.

The instant coffee packages are intended for customers to buy at the store and then make at home or the office.

The national rollout for the instant coffee is set for the fall, but on March 3, the instant coffee will be available in the Seattle area, where Starbucks was originally founded, and in Illinois. The instant bags will hit select stores in London on March 25.

Getting into your house
The individual packets of instant coffee also push Starbucks further into your kitchen. The grab-it-on-the-go brand does not have a large footprint of coffee at home.

According to Starbucks, 66 billion cups of coffee are drunk every year in the U.S. and a full three quarters of those cups of coffee are enjoyed at home. The other 25% of coffee is drunk at the office, traveling, or in a coffee shop. But Starbucks only grabs a 4% market share of the coffee drunk in American homes.

"This is a big move for us - the opportunity to reinvent a category, create new rituals and grow our customer base is substantial," said Starbucks chairman, president and CEO Howard Schultz, in a written statement.

Internationally, instant coffee is a little bit more popular. About 40% of global coffee sales are instant coffee, according to the Starbucks release. That represents about $17 billion in sales. In England, 81% of java sold is instant and in Japan, 63% of coffee sold is instant. Starbucks is hoping to capitalize on that demand.

Beating the stigma
Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) claims that its "Via" Ready Brew is going to break the stereotype that instant coffee is painfully terrible.

However, some consumers are skeptical about the taste of instant coffee even though the instant coffee packets promise to be cheaper.

"I have never cared for instant coffee," said Father Douglas Crawford, 48, a Catholic priest from Westchester, NY. "It doesn't seem to have the integrity of brewed coffee."

Another customer said that she primarily goes to Starbucks for the lattes because they are a little luxury. "Generally, I only go to Starbucks if I want a treat," said Aimee McDermott, 32, a freelance editor from Manhattan.

If nothing else, the coffee is cheap. The instant coffee packets will come in packs of 3 for $2.95. Packs of 12 run $9.95.

That was at least enough of an incentive for one law student. While Ravi Kantha, 23, who lives in Manhattan, doesn't drink much coffee, she says "if it is cheaper, it is probably worth it."

And one devotee said she would sample the instant coffee because she trusts the maker. "I would try it because it is Starbucks," said Vlora Shehi, 20, from Brooklyn. She works at a coffee and cookie shop and was drinking a caramel macchiato. Typically, she said she puts a premium on taste. "Price doesn't matter. If it tastes good, it tastes good."

First Published: February 17, 2009: 3:53 PM ET
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Meh, SB's straight up coffee is burnt crap IMO. They pretty much have to cover it up with carmel, mocha, half-soy, blah, blah, blah to make it any good.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

TOTALLY concur g8rman95...Dunkin Donuts coffee rocks my world though.
Okay, let's try this!

MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Our office has a coffee service and has for years gotten two forms of coffee. One was single serve packages in about a dozen strengths/flavors, most was good but pricey. The second was a pre-sized bag for making a full pot. For about the last 2 months I was buying (splitting the cost with 2 other DD lovers) the 2.5 lb bag of DD's coffee at BJ's and making that in the pot vs. the other stuff since the pre-sized bags were fair at best. Found out that instead of the no-name brand pre-sized bags we can order pre-sized bags of DD coffee instead! I'm now in coffee heaven at work.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I buy those big bags of it from BJ's too...they pretty much last me about 3/4 of a year (drinking it 5 days a week...two days I go to the office and drink the Green Mountain coffee they give us).

I get one bag of regular and one bag of decaf and then mix them together...I got used to drinking decaf when I was pregnant for like 10 years...so I figured if I can do without caffine all together I can cut back and it won't bother too much. And it hasn't.

I love me some Dunkin' Donuts coffee!!!
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

we buy the green mountain stuff at our local hannaford's supermarket.

we buy them in beans and grind them ourselves for freshness.