Madoff Whistle Blower Testifies

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

He says he's also going to drop the dime on a mini-Madoff who's running a one billion dollar scam and he's going to do it this week. Get your popcorn.

Feb. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Harry Markopolos, a former money manager who sought to convince regulators for nine years that Bernard Madoff was a fraud, said the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission suffers from “investigative ineptitude.”

Markopolos told Congress today that he contacted the SEC in 2000 after examining Madoff’s investment strategy and determining in four hours that returns exceeding 10 percent weren’t possible. Markopolos, in almost a decade of communication, said only one SEC staff member understood Madoff’s scheme and “the threat it posed to the public.”

“My experiences with other SEC officials proved to be a systemic disappointment and lead me to conclude that the SEC securities lawyers, if only through their investigative ineptitude and financial illiteracy, colluded to maintain large frauds such as the one to which Madoff later confessed,” Markopolos said. Madoff “had a lot of help,” Markopolos said.

U.S. lawmakers, who began investigating Madoff’s case last month, are hearing from Markopolos for the first time as they try to determine how regulators missed his alleged $50 billion Ponzi scheme, the biggest in history. The proceeding may shape the SEC’s fate as Congress debates whether to bolster the regulator or turn its responsibilities over to another agency.

Investors “expected regulators to perform their roles effectively,” Representative Paul Kanjorski, the Pennsylvania Democrat and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee’s capital markets panel, said as he began the hearing. “We need to pursue long-scale reforms.”

Democratic Representatives Bradley Sherman of California and Michael Capuano of Massachusetts, members of the subcommittee, suggested Markopolos consider joining the SEC. He declined, citing family issues.

SEC Officials

Markopolos, 52, testified along with SEC directors Linda Thomsen, enforcement; Andrew Donohue, investment management; Erik Sirri, trading and markets; Lori Richards, compliance and inspections; and Acting General Counsel Andy Vollmer.

The officials, in joint testimony, said the regulator may stiffen audit requirements for money managers and inspect firms more frequently. The SEC is also examining how it evaluates risk and may require investment advisers to provide more information than it currently requires, according to the testimony.

Claims filed against Madoff by the SEC and prosecutors may result in billions of dollars in liability and “decades of incarceration,” the officials said.

SEC Inspector General David Kotz told lawmakers Jan. 5 that he was investigating whether Madoff’s clout and relationships with regulators helped the money manager avoid detection. Madoff sat on an SEC advisory committee and was chairman of the Nasdaq Stock Market.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a_UBDG13Gld0&refer=home
radbag

Post by radbag »

i watched as much of the hearings as i could before having to pop out and run some errands.

guy rocked capitol hill today...from what i watched, he basically said that FINRA, the SEC, and the NASD were corrupt...he laid out plans that he felt would help the SEC deal with such lawlessness...ironic thing was his testimony was interrupted at around 11AM by BHO...BHO formalized his plans to restrict executive compensation.

heres the irony :

when asked by the congressional committee on what steps markopolis thought needed to be taken to prevent this from happening again, the whistle blower markopolis claimed compensation reform for SEC investigators would be the single biggest way to prevent madoff cheats again....he stated that he thought if the SEC were paid on a case-by-case basis, more cases would be brought to light...basically - if you found a scam, expose it and get paid....the committee members praised markopolos and his work...they praised his efforts and insight.

then the BHO presser breaks limiting CEO compensation and i found it so ironic...before you bite my head off, i realize BHO HAD to do something for the popular opinion and i know the limits only pertain to those asking for help from here on in (those who received funds before are exempt)...point is, limiting compensation will de-incentivize and we'll only lose our top talent...who knows? maybe we lose our resources to foreign competitors...this bit of irony is going to change the face of business and not for the better.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

^^^Interesting...and I just thought of something...right now I have two friends that are moving their families overseas for better jobs. One is going to Germany and the other to China. Just a random thought.
Okay, let's try this!

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

point is, limiting compensation will de-incentivize and we'll only lose our top talent...who knows? maybe we lose our resources to foreign competitors...this bit of irony is going to change the face of business and not for the better.

Aw, we'll lose out on the services of guys who lost billions upon billions of dollars this past year. Poor us. Whatever shall we do without that kind of talent?
radbag

Post by radbag »

^^^Interesting...and I just thought of something...right now I have two friends that are moving their families overseas for better jobs. One is going to Germany and the other to China. Just a random thought.
brain MF drain sista...it's a comin.

want another irony? i'll just cut-and-paste the email...it's a bit funny but kinda more sad if you think about it

Important info on the Stimulus Payment

"This year, taxpayers will receive an Economic Stimulus Payment. This is a very exciting new program that I will explain using the Q and A format:

"Q. What is an Economic Stimulus Payment?
"A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

"Q. Where will the government get this money?
"A. From taxpayers.

"Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?
"A. No, they are borrowing it from China. You children are expected to repay the Chinese.

"Q. What is the purpose of this payment?
"A. The plan is that you will use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

"Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?
"A. Shut up."

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the US economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:

If you spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China .

If you spend it on gasoline it will go to Hugo Chavez, the Arabs and Al Queda

If you purchase a computer it will go to Taiwan .

If you purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico , Honduras , and Guatemala (unless you buy organic).

If you buy a car it will go to Japan and Korea .

If you purchase prescription drugs it will go to India

If you purchase heroin it will go to the Taliban in Afghanistan
If you give it to a charitable cause, it will go to Nigeria .

And none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America . You can keep the money in America by spending it at yard sales, going to a baseball game, or spend it on prostitutes, beer (domestic ONLY), or tattoos, since those are the only businesses still in the US.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

point is, limiting compensation will de-incentivize and we'll only lose our top talent...who knows? maybe we lose our resources to foreign competitors...this bit of irony is going to change the face of business and not for the better.

Aw, we'll lose out on the services of guys who lost billions upon billions of dollars this past year. Poor us. Whatever shall we do without that kind of talent?

not all of the top talent was involved in that, a1. To think that way is short sighted. rad's point is valid.

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

If you're taking that government cheddar, you get your pay limited. Otherwise, don't take the handout. Simple as that. rad's point is bullshit. And if they can't do business without that government cheese, let them go out of business. There's their real alternative to having their pay limited. It's not written anywhere that these guys are entitled to anything.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

well, I don't think we should be giving any of these cocksuckers money, but if we're going to do it in the hopes that they're sustainable, then they need to be able to attract the top talent (presuming this talent was not involved in the fuck up in the first place). To do that, we shouldn't be capping any pay. If we're giving it to the same fuckers (those in charge of the companies - not just the companies themselves) that fucked things up, then it's just a gigantic waste of money.

radbag

Post by radbag »

^ let's see who takes help post BHOs mandate josh...let's see....my guess - nobody...not banks, not auto, not pencil companies...nada...even if they need it, they won't...why? because if you do, your company will be BHOs and CEOs would rather retire and live off a fixed income before having to relinquish control to gov't...then what happens?

here's to hoping BHOs got a viable exit strategy.............i mean, secondary strategy...cause when these companies start falling off the wayside, BHO will at least have the chance to say he indeed made 'chaaaaaaange'

(no BHO bashin or name calling in my post btw)
radbag

Post by radbag »

well, I don't think we should be giving any of these cocksuckers money, but if we're going to do it in the hopes that they're sustainable, then they need to be able to attract the top talent (presuming this talent was not involved in the fuck up in the first place). To do that, we shouldn't be capping any pay.

you're a fucking lawyer jimmy...why are YOU explaining THIS to a guy who's worked for a brokerage company and made a very good living and career off of it? who are you to tell him?
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

^ let's see who takes help post BHOs mandate josh...let's see....my guess - nobody...not banks, not auto, not pencil companies...nada...even if they need it, they won't...why? because if you do, your company will be BHOs and CEOs would rather retire and live off a fixed income before having to relinquish control to gov't...then what happens?

here's to hoping BHOs got a viable exit strategy.............i mean, secondary strategy...cause when these companies start falling off the wayside, BHO will at least have the chance to say he indeed made 'chaaaaaaange'

If they don't take the money with strings attached and they fail as companies, that's called capitalism. Why do you hate capitalism? It's just the market at work.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

If they don't take the money with strings attached and they fail as companies, that's called capitalism. Why do you hate capitalism? It's just the market at work.

so is not capping pay.

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

so is not capping pay.

No one's talking about capping pay for people at companys that don't get on the government welfare to survive.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

that doesn't change the friggin point, a1.

1. Don't give them any fucking money.

2. If...and only IF you're going to give them money...they must be sustainable. If they are to be sustainable, then you must have top talent to pull them out of the mess. To hire top talent, you must be able to pay top wages. Otherwise, top talent goes elsewhere. It really is that friggin simple.

3. I'm not saying that the "talent" that got us into the mess should be getting paid at all. Just want to make sure that's in there before you go spinning my words.

4. I suspect you'll continue to ramble on about government cheese and ignore the point that should be smacking you right in the face.

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

We agree on this: Don't give them the money, period. Let them fail.
radbag

Post by radbag »

the gov't intervened and mandated themselves effectively saying, "if you come to me and need my help, i will only do it if you run your company the way the gov't WANTS you to run your company"

you see josh - BHO is drawing a line in the sand and he's gotta be (and i'm sure he is) prepared for the aftermath.

edit - so yes...it's capitalism...but whatever happens from here on in is because of gov't intervention
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Again, Manny, why do you hate capitalism? Let these companies and their oh so smart "talent" face the market.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

We agree on this: Don't give them the money, period. Let them fail.

yes.

TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

I'm with a1 on this and I don't think rad's argument holds water at all. If a company needs these funds, it probably means that:

a) they are in a sector that is reeling from the downturn in the economy

and

b) the company was in a bad financial position to begin with.

Rad, I personally believe that exec pay has grown too much versus the pay of the average employee. Too many CEO's are getting paid much more than their worth versus the worth of the company. They are basically stealing money from shareholders.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Again, Manny, why do you hate capitalism? Let these companies and their oh so smart "talent" face the market.

i just said - gov't intervened...how is it capitalism if the gov't is involved?
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

you're a fucking lawyer jimmy...why are YOU explaining THIS to a guy who's worked for a brokerage company and made a very good living and career off of it? who are you to tell him?

That probably helps him immensely in his job search. As, I'm sure, it does you too.
I am the law, bitches!
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

"That is pretty draconian - $500,000 is not a lot of money, particularly if there is no bonus," said James Reda, founder and managing director of James F. Reda & Associates, a compensation consulting firm. "And you know these companies that are in trouble are not going to pay much of an annual dividend."

I call BS. This person is out of touch with society, as most of the wealthy are. $500,000 is a TON of money!!! I guess they won't be happy until we storm their $1B mansions and sever a few heads.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Very old (1997) article breaking down the issue:

http://www.fool.com/Rogue/1997/Rogue970905.htm

I am all for a CEO making as much money as they can, but I think it should be tied to the performance of the company and not a guaranteed amount.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

I've got a couple extra pitchforks, Todd.

Y'all know where I stand on this nonsense. You don't negotiate with terrorists, but that's what we've done since the original TARP. Speaking of which, we know this collapse was orchestrated. It certainly has created terror.

Why shouldn't Obama start bombing the banks? They are terrorists who have caused immense damage to our nation.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Post by radbag »

I'm with a1 on this and I don't think rad's argument holds water at all. If a company needs these funds, it probably means that:

a) they are in a sector that is reeling from the downturn in the economy

and

b) the company was in a bad financial position to begin with.

Rad, I personally believe that exec pay has grown too much versus the pay of the average employee. Too many CEO's are getting paid much more than their worth versus the worth of the company. They are basically stealing money from shareholders.
fair enough...but a stock owner can sell their stock if they think their stocks CEOs overcompensated or they believe their CEO is stealing money as you put it...i don't know anyone who's done that but it's an option.

a company has a board and the board approves all compensation...there's that check and balance if you will...there's a contract too...if you're a company in the middle of the pack of tier 2 and wish to be a tier 1, you'll need to have a guy in your organization that exudes tier 1 type mentality...you're gonna have to pay a guy for him to leave a tier 1 to come to a tier 2...can't do that if you agree to take funds and you're limited on growth...effectively, if you sign up for funds, you are signing away control and viability...is that going to be good for the economy?? is that going to be good for THE STOCKHOLDER?

there'll be dumping of stock upon hearing of receiving of gov't funds...pandora's box is WIDE MF OPEN.