Interesting piece concludes: China will continue buying our debt

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Brad Setser is arguing that China will be able to continue to fund our debt machine because, despite the hard landing they're getting smacked with, their trade surplus will remain intact. As exports fell sharply in December, apparently their imports fell even more...so perhaps there will be continued appetite for our deficit spending.

The whole thing's here: http://blogs.cfr.org/setser/2009/01/18/it-is-the-time-to-worry-about-a-fall-in-chinas-demand-for-the-worlds-goods-not-a-fall-in-chinas-demand-for-treasuries/
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Post by radbag »

i could be totally out of touch but the last i heard (about 3 months ago), china was NOT the biggest investor in US treasuries...it was (and has been since i left my job) and had been the middle east...specifically - the kuwaiti investment authority....KIO had taken over what SAFE (china's State Administration of Foreign Exchange) was from 2004-2007. i'm told the central banks of the middle east are king right now
AdGator02

Post by AdGator02 »

^^^
that's not a pleasant thought. hopefully, our country gets back on track and learns to live within its means.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

^^^^^^^^^^

That is one thing that BHO has espoused about that I agreed with. I kept waiting the JM to bring it up but he never did.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.