IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

Private Messages....

View First Unread View First Unread
Old Today, 01:27 PM #1
jagator31
Premium Member

jagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Private Messages....
Can someone tell me if these are actually private?

I keep hearing that mods read peoples PM's all the time. If so, why are they called "private" messages? I don't really have anything to hide (obviously) but seems kind of wrong.

Hopefully someone can debunk this.
[/size][/size][/size]
Send a private message to jagator31
Find More Posts by jagator31
Add jagator31 to Your Contacts
Old Today, 01:34 PM #2
atlantagator86
Premium Member

atlantagator86 has a reputation beyond reputeatlantagator86 has a reputation beyond reputeatlantagator86 has a reputation beyond repute

I presume they are private to other posters, but I suspect there are at least one or two people who have the access permissions to access any data on the site they wish. It is their site. We only pay to use this.

But I seriously doubt anyone is going through them or anything.
[/size][/size][/size]
atlantagator86 is online now Add to atlantagator86's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
atlantagator86
View Public Profile
Send a private message to atlantagator86
Visit atlantagator86's homepage!
Find More Posts by atlantagator86
Add atlantagator86 to Your Contacts
Old Today, 01:40 PM #3
iiwii
VIP Member

iiwii has a spectacular aura about

I'm guessing it would be if a PM is referred to a mod.[/size][/size][/size]
iiwii is online now Add to iiwii's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
iiwii
View Public Profile
Send a private message to iiwii
Find More Posts by iiwii
Add iiwii to Your Contacts
Old Today, 01:43 PM #4
OklahomaGator
VIP Member

OklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond repute
OklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond reputeOklahomaGator has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure they can if they want to, I know I have access to all of the emails generated by my employees at work if I want to read them.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

-Urban Meyer
OklahomaGator is online now Add to OklahomaGator's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
OklahomaGator
View Public Profile
Send a private message to OklahomaGator
Find More Posts by OklahomaGator
Add OklahomaGator to Your Contacts
Old Today, 01:47 PM #5
GatorGrowl[/size][/size][/size]
Customer Service

GatorGrowl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to GatorGrowl

[glow=red,2,300]We can, if we wish to, turn on a software update that will allow access to PMs. As far as I know, it is not turned on to anyone here.

There are some that hear the black helicopters every time they access the internet and believe PMs are accessible here, but they are not, to my knowledge.
[/glow][/size][/size][/size][/size]
GatorGrowl is offline Add to GatorGrowl's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
GatorGrowl
View Public Profile
Send a private message to GatorGrowl
Find More Posts by GatorGrowl
Add GatorGrowl to Your Contacts
View Blog
Old Today, 01:51 PM #6
jagator31
Premium Member

jagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond reputejagator31 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGrowl View Post
We can, if we wish to, turn on a software update that will allow access to PMs. As far as I know, it is not turned on to anyone here.

There are some that hear the black helicopters every time they access the internet and believe PMs are accessible here, but they are not, to my knowledge.
This thread has brought many to my attention that state the opposite of that and it is being mentioned often that mods are reading peoples PMs. If that is that case it should be mentioned and also be written somewhere to let people know that their private messages are really "public messages".[/size][/size][/size]
Old Today, 01:54 PM #7
GatorGrowl
Customer Service

GatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond repute
GatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond reputeGatorGrowl has a reputation beyond repute

[glow=red,2,300]That is why we do not normally address these issues because folks will believe what they want and I can say it and the folks who do not want to believe it will not, so why waste my time. Obviously you believe the others.[/glow][/size][/size][/size][/size]
GatorGrowl is offline Add to GatorGrowl's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
GatorGrowl
View Public Profile
View Blog
Old Today, 01:57 PM #8
jagator31
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGrowl View Post
That is why we do not normally address these issues because folks will believe what they want and I can say it and the folks who do not want to believe it will not, so why waste my time. Obviously you believe the others.
I'm wondering why so many people would make it up. My main question was whether or not is was possible. I just figured if it is possible that people should at least be informed that their private messages can be read by others.[/size][/size][/size]
Old Today, 01:59 PM #9
gatorcop
Heavy-Handed Oppressor

gatorcop has a reputation beyond reputegatorcop has a reputation beyond reputegatorcop has a reputation beyond reputegatorcop has a reputation beyond reputegatorcop has a reputation beyond repute

jagator, I just read the PM you sent another poster about me. I am about to ban you[/size][/size][/size].

All men are created equal, some more equal than others!
gatorcop is online now Add to gatorcop's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
gatorcop
View Public Profile
Send a private message to gatorcop
Find More Posts by gatorcop
Add gatorcop to Your Contacts
Old Today, 02:00 PM #10
atlantagator86
Premium Member

atlantagator86 has a reputation beyond reputeatlantagator86 has a reputation beyond reputeatlantagator86 has a reputation beyond repute

jagator31:

There's no such thing as truly private conversation online. You employer can access and read any e-mail sent through their servers. Your web provider can access any e-mail they want of yours.

I wonder why this is such an issue to you if you "don't really have anything to hide".
[/size][/size][/size]
atlantagator86 is online now Add to atlantagator86's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
atlantagator86
View Public Profile
Send a private message to atlantagator86
Visit atlantagator86's homepage!
Find More Posts by atlantagator86
Add atlantagator86 to Your Contacts
Old Today, 02:02 PM #11
northwoodgator1
Premium Member

northwoodgator1 has disabled reputation

[glow=red,2,300]Why should mods be allowed to read pm's? That sounds a bit communistic.[/glow][/size][/size][/size]

Pray for America, we're going to need it now more than ever!
northwoodgator1 is online now Add to northwoodgator1's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
northwoodgator1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to northwoodgator1
Find More Posts by northwoodgator1
Add northwoodgator1 to Your Contacts
Unread Today, 02:05 PM #12
GatorGrowl
Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagator31 View Post
I'm wondering why so many people would make it up. My main question was whether or not is was possible. I just figured if it is possible that people should at least be informed that their private messages can be read by others.

[glow=red,2,300]Your original post did not ask if it was possible- it was asking if they were read by mods.

I told you it was possible in my answer, but to my knowledge it is not done- I can only access what I have access to and can not speak to anyone else, so I will not.
[/glow][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Quote:
Can someone tell me if these are actually private?

I keep hearing that mods read peoples PM's all the time. If so, why are they called "private" messages? I don't really have anything to hide (obviously) but seems kind of wrong.

Hopefully someone can debunk this.
GatorGrowl
View Public Profile

DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

Interesting.
DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

You should post this over on the Scout site, under a throwaway screen name and IP mask.
radbag

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by radbag »

"to my knowledge, they are not read"

david shepherd is a douchebag.....and so is shane sapp
radbag

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by radbag »

feeding this stuff to g8orbill, photogator, pam would do the scout trick...they'd run with it AND sign their name to it.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

bill saw all of it. He claims to still be a paying member at all 3 sites, and was trying to diffuse the situation

IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

Ray responds:

Moderators and regular admins cannot read PMs, so consider that debunked.

That said, are you asking this question in other places, too? Or just here? I know at your favorite haunt (TOS) PMs are accessible to staff and admins that have access to the database.

And no, there's no conspiracies regarding the movement of threads - the mods have a job to keep threads in the proper forums. This is the proper forum for that as it contains no information relevant to football or sports where it was originally posted.

BTW, jagator, Growl will be contacting you to ask for an explanation why you have multiple users from different areas of the country accessing your account which is clearly against our policy. Make sure you respond to him as it is a ban-able offense.

I am closing this thread because it was clearly intended to stir up false rumors.

Ray

DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

Nice. Someone asks a reasonable question and so they set him up to be banned for account sharing.
radbag

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by radbag »

i was an admin at scout...you can't look at pm's (back then you couldn't....maybe it's a different story now)

back then, being 2nd in command to growl, the biggest perk i knew of was i was able to read insider stories from ANY scout site
IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

BTW - they did the same to me a while back:

Every time someone logs in with a different IP that someone else has logged in with we get a message that is sent to mod forum.

It appears that termig8r is logging in with your access. At first I could not figure out why two premium folks were sharing accesses and I did not mind. However, I just found out that term no longer has premium access so I need to ask you to stop allowing him your access and if you are not doing it you might need to change your password.

Thanks!!!

Here the e-mail we get-- little silly wording, but we get the message

Termig8r tripped AE detector
Termig8r seems to have multiple personalities using ihateugalydawgs and Termig8r sharing the same computer. No soup for you! and you! and you!

IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

my response:
I do not know who Termig8r is. If you continue to notice his behavior persisting, then block him for all I care. Forward this message to him if you'd like. If he knows me somehow (and I just don't know him by that username), then he can contact me and then I"ll deliver the message personally.

Thanks.

Growl's response to mine:

Okay, thanks. Termi is Denny Courson, the one who does the Gators and More Radio show. The detector has tripped a couple of times is one of the reasons I wrote.

If it happens again I will look at it deeper on his end.

IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

one more to save before my account is stripped at the end of the day:
Originally Posted by ihateugalydawgs
Why has my comp subscription been revoked? It was supposedly good through December and it is now not working and completely without notice. I would like to know what is going on?

Originally Posted by GatorGrowl

Your comp, as I understood was to help Bob out and he is no longer with us.

Quote:

my comp was courtesy of Bob, yes, but it was to help me out while I was in school and searching for a job (which I am still doing). He did that because I had helped the site out in the past (bringing info - and then bigtimegator21 to these boards) and had run into tight finances as a student. If you're going to cancel, that's your business, I suppose. And, it's not a threat (or at least not meant to be), but I wont' be coming back. I had intended to renew when the comp ran out (presuming I had landed a job), but the way this was just cancelled without notice was mishandled, and minorly offended me.

I hope this can be resolved.

Originally Posted by GatorGrowl
Quote:

I will restore the comp because if Bob had a reason for doing it then we will honor it.

As far as being offended that really does not matter to me nor does it matter if choose to join or not.

I appreciate it. I was not trying to launch an attack on you with my response to you, though I understand you may have taken it that way based on our prior history. However, I would be very surprised to think that you nor Ray or anyone else on staff would not be concerned with how a business decision would affect a customer and their attitude towards the product. Really, David, I'm not trying to stir anything here, I was just letting you know how I felt. Nothing more or less.

James

I have come to the conclusion that sometimes we are better turning paying customers away than keeping them and having them become a cancer to the this site.

We make decisions to ban paying members each week because in the long run it pays dividends to the site as a whole.

My attitude the last 90 days, with Ray's approval is that we no longer "tolerate" malcontents just to have another paying customer.

This has nothing to do with directly because you have not done or said anything on the premium forums that anyone could take exception to. However, as you say our history is there and my decisions about you would be jaded because of that.

DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

I sent jagator31 a private message:

Heard you got in trouble for asking too many questions.

I know for a fact that some folks in the past have complained about getting their PMs read. I don't think it's ever happened to me, but it's probably not hard to do.

Too bad they're trying to railroad you for account sharing- it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

And he replied:

Yea fancy timing on the accusations. Ive never once given my password out but I do access this site from my iphone (IP address shows New York), my ATT laptop card my PC etc. Gutless to accuse me on a public forum then lock the thread.
DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

For the record:

I - or any Admin here - can read your PMs quite easily by changing your password and logging in as you. But you'd know it because then your password would stop working and you'd have to get a new one.

I do not know of a mod for this forum that would allow me to read it otherwise, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to whip up.

So feel free to slander me in your PMs.
radbag

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by radbag »

also, the mod log would show all the shenanigans...
DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

We have a mod log?
IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

yeah.

DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

Which reminds me: which one of you sent out the mass email about the new OC?

I don't mind; I was just kind of weird to see an email from myself that I didn't remember making.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

On the Bullgator Den...

it was me...I haven't figured out how to post an announcement on this new software yet...I clicked a box that seemed most logical and it sent that out. My bad.

DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

Is all right. Next time, send out an email that says "Eric has AIDS" or something. Maybe we'll prompt him into coming back.
radbag

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by radbag »

i liked the blast message on adazzio actually. rock on jimmy.
DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

Don't get me wrong - that's pretty big news and there's nothing wrong with doing it.

I was just surprised, that's all.
DocZaius

On the Bullgator Den...

Post by DocZaius »

I was just looking through old threads and noticed this one again. Anyone want to contact jagator31 and see if he'd like to come over here?

Also, confirmation that they have a program that detects multiple logins from the same person; a description can be found here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125871

So if you're using multiple screen names, be aware that they will know it's you unless you take steps to conceal yourself from the modification. But one thing I don't get: the mod appears to use a cookie on the user's computer to track you. If you clear cookies, which I do when registering a new account anyway, that should take care of the issue, right? It doesn't track IP addresses, from the discussion I see about the mod.

Maybe Todd could weigh in here.