Joe Stiglitz Explains What Went Wrong: Capitalist Fools

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Joseph Stiglitz has a nice article up that gives a very concise run down of what led to our current system failure. Very recommended.

I'll highlight one key passage:

There were other important steps down the deregulatory path. One was the decision in April 2004 by the Securities and Exchange Commission, at a meeting attended by virtually no one and largely overlooked at the time, to allow big investment banks to increase their debt-to-capital ratio (from 12:1 to 30:1, or higher) so that they could buy more mortgage-backed securities, inflating the housing bubble in the process. In agreeing to this measure, the S.E.C. argued for the virtues of self-regulation: the peculiar notion that banks can effectively police themselves. Self-regulation is preposterous, as even Alan Greenspan now concedes, and as a practical matter it can’t, in any case, identify systemic risks—the kinds of risks that arise when, for instance, the models used by each of the banks to manage their portfolios tell all the banks to sell some security all at once.

As we stripped back the old regulations, we did nothing to address the new challenges posed by 21st-century markets. The most important challenge was that posed by derivatives. In 1998 the head of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Brooksley Born, had called for such regulation—a concern that took on urgency after the Fed, in that same year, engineered the bailout of Long-Term Capital Management, a hedge fund whose trillion-dollar-plus failure threatened global financial markets. But Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin, his deputy, Larry Summers, and Greenspan were adamant—and successful—in their opposition. Nothing was done.

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2009/01/stiglitz200901?currentPage=1

One of the people who lobbied for the rule change that allowed the I-banks to raise their debt to capital ratios and thus lever up was none other than our good buddy Hank Paulson, then chair of Goldman Sachs. The same Hank Paulson who is now giving away taxpayer dollars to those same I-banks that fucked up.

Thanks, Hank. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, you POS.
radbag

Post by radbag »

the ratio changes no doubt contributed...let's just say it didn't help deter...but no one considers these things when people are making money hand over fist...and i'm not just talking finance players...the 'flipper', the 'real estate agent', and the 'home improvement contractors' did well during that run as well.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The first time I ever saw the teevee show, "Flip This House," I knew this shit was gonna end badly. It was the first sighting for me of the imminent Minsky Moment. Soon as you get the crowd piling in on one side of the bet, you better start looking for exits.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

^^^Yep...I thought HGTV and TLC should have gone in front of Congress to testify! :)
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

true 'dat yo!

TLC and HGTV glorified 'flipping' and 'speculating' to the point where it seemed as if people could buy a house with no money, fix it in 3 months and sell it within a month making 50% profit.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

^^^Yep...I thought HGTV and TLC should have gone in front of Congress to testify! :)

That's a great idea! I would love to see that happen.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

From Toothy's link:

The global derivatives market topped $530 trillion as of June 30 this year, including $55 trillion in the suddenly popular credit-default swaps; that $530 trillion represents all contracts outstanding. The total dollars at risk is much smaller, but still a hefty $2.7 trillion, according to an estimate by the International Swaps and Derivatives Association.

That's trillion. With a t. Truly breath taking.

And that article also reiterated for me that someone should shoot Enron Phil Gramm in the fucking face. What a d-bag that guy is.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Paulson is a moron. I sure hope he gets replaced ASAP.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Post by radbag »

From Toothy's link:

The global derivatives market topped $530 trillion as of June 30 this year, including $55 trillion in the suddenly popular credit-default swaps; that $530 trillion represents all contracts outstanding. The total dollars at risk is much smaller, but still a hefty $2.7 trillion, according to an estimate by the International Swaps and Derivatives Association.

That's trillion. With a t. Truly breath taking.

And that article also reiterated for me that someone should shoot Enron Phil Gramm in the fucking face. What a d-bag that guy is.

re that quote josh - the average size on a CDS transaction or deriv trade is usually 100MM ... i've seen as large as 500MM ... these transactions are hedges versus other transactions that may or may not be 'pooled' together...doesn't make it less astonishing but just wanted to set that straight for those of us not as familiar.