The Purpose of This Board.

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I gotta admit, I was a little uneasy about starting this forum up at first--too many memories of people running pump and dump schemes on the old Yahoo! stock message boards. But people are obviously interested in the topic and I think since we're all friends we can definitely make it an interesting resource.

A couple of things I do want to put out there right up front--rad and I both, obviously, work for firms in the market. There's info we both have access to in our jobs that we cannot speak about publicly, so we're both limited in some of the things we can say. There's also rules and regs that we're subject to that may limit things we can or should post on.

I think that if we're going to run this right, we should feel free to post educational and informative stuff and have good discussions about investing or trading. I'll certainly post up some of the sites I look at on a regular basis to get an idea of things that are going out there in the world of money.

So have at it, folks! My caveats are done.
radbag

Post by radbag »

strictly for entertainment purposes only.
apexgator

Post by apexgator »

I think we all understand that both of you have your hands tied somewhat as to what you can say/divulge. I don't think anyone is looking for inside info just a place where we can talk strategy and/or educate ourselves about the market as a whole.
apexgator

Post by apexgator »

I should add that I hope you don't use your inside info against us in our mock portfolios, strictly for gaming purposes of course.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I should add that I hope you don't use your inside info against us in our mock portfolios, strictly for gaming purposes of course.

Don't worry about that. Not using any of our research to play the game. Just having fun with it. I gotta get used to the feel of their entry system, btw. I went long a straddle this morning and still waiting for it to clear--I'm gonna get fucked on the fill prices. Shoulda entered it yesterday afternoon.
radbag

Post by radbag »

i got fucked on a fill price shorting LEH
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

I think we all understand that both of you have your hands tied somewhat as to what you can say/divulge. I don't think anyone is looking for inside info just a place where we can talk strategy and/or educate ourselves about the market as a whole.

werd. I'm doing this game to find out what it means if I do one thing as opposed to another. What does one term mean as opposed to another, what are the pros/cons of each move, when is it best to do one action as opposed to another, etc...I know nothing about it.

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

i got fucked on a fill price shorting LEH

It delays my fill, then gives me a Security Not Trading message before it fills me later on at a bad entry. Like I said, this delayed pricing is killing me. I'm spoiled.
radbag

Post by radbag »

werd. I'm doing this game to find out what it means if I do one thing as opposed to another. What does one term mean as opposed to another, what are the pros/cons of each move, when is it best to do one action as opposed to another, etc...I know nothing about it.

that's the point of the whole exercise...in a years time, you'll be trading your inheritance.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

I can certainly understand that you guys can't delve any info without breaking some serious laws. The kind if information I was thinking that might be good to share is possibly stuff like items you look for in a company before you invest in them. IE, low debt, P/E ratios, etc.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Post by radbag »

I can certainly understand that you guys can't delve any info without breaking some serious laws. The kind if information I was thinking that might be good to share is possibly stuff like items you look for in a company before you invest in them. IE, low debt, P/E ratios, etc.

that's general stuff that i'd be more than happy to explain and discuss...

i'm thinking the stuff that a1 was eluding to potentially was stuff not public versus stuff that IS public.

public stuff = good = news headlines, quotes from new services, analytics.
non-public stuff = bad = trade points, confidential trading strategies being utilized by clients, pending news about earnings releases or other corporate actions, water cooler chatting.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

I trust that you guys will have no trouble upholding the ethical directives of your respective positions. Respect the notice though a1...good post.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.