Got a new computer for Bill

You got a problem? Tell us.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I'm using it right now! It's a Dell Vostro 1000 and so far so good. It's fast as heck but then again we don't have anything on it so there's nothing to bog it down. He really likes the Microsoft Small Office...that will be quite helpful with his business.

QuickBooks sent us a disc so we could didn't have to buy new software. It's because it's still just one user that they didn't charge us. Well, we had to pay 20 bucks for the disc but that was it.

I also was smart enough NOT to get Vista...we got XP Professional. That is one of the reasons I went with this Dell...there weren't a lot of them that still offered XP and my IT guy at work gave me big props for that decision.

He offered to come over and set it up on it's docking station, the printer, the QuickBooks and all that stuff.

I DID NOT get any virus or firewall protection through them...so I need to figure out the best thing to do. Since Bill's business stuff will be on here, we'll need something but if it is obstructive or causes him any grief (as every other anti-virus and firewall as done), it will piss him off. Suggestions are welcome. I don't mind paying but I don't want to pay a ton for a pain in the neck program.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

ZoneAlarm is a great free firewall. Windows XP also has a built-in firewall, though.

For antivirus, I prefer Avast! Anti-Virus, which is free for home users. It's pretty transparent - you won't notice it.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

I like AVG for antivirus software which is also free for home users.

G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

What does "home user" mean?
Okay, let's try this!

IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

your typical home user...non business...a personal computer...if you are just using one computer and you transact some business on it I doubt anyone would know the difference.

radbag

Post by radbag »

if you're operating behind a router, you should have a built in firewall fyi.

i recommend an anti-virus protection program...especially if it's for a business.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Don't tell anyone, but I only have a home license for my Avast! antivirus on my work computer.