Opening Day for Baseball

Fuckbeans.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

I tend to agree with you, urap. The Rays were looking to make a trade for a right handed bat, but according to the local radio guys, management said every team they talked to wanted David Price, the pitcher we took out of Vanderbilt first overall last year. That ended pretty much every negotiation, because they're looking at the team's outlook long term.

Price, hopefully, is going to be brought up later in the season. All the talk is that he is the real deal. Pedro Martinez saw him pitch in a game earlier in the year and said the kid is lights out for real.
UFGirlluvr

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by UFGirlluvr »

Looks like the Reds are trading Griffey and possibly Dunn. Let the fire sale begin. If Griffey actually goes to the White Sox and has a chance to play for a ring I guess I cant be too mad
urapnes

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by urapnes »

marlins make a move, but not for manny. yet.
---------------------
ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Rhodes has been traded by the Mariners to Florida for pitching prospect Gaby Hernandez.

Rhodes, in his 17th season, has a 2.86 ERA in 36 games for the Mariners this season. Left-handed hitters are hitting just .200 against him in 2008.
---------------------

i like it, lefty bullpen help is a need, and while gabby hernandez is a nice prospect, he's not one of the 2 or 3 'untouchables' in the fish's system.
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

O hold ye breath, White Sox fans. I am not sure trading for Griffey makes a hell of a lot of sense for Chicago, other than bringing a few fans into the seats. Dude's hitting .245 with 15 home runs. He'll sell some tickets, but enough to justify the salary?
TTBHG

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by TTBHG »

I bet the WS make the Reds pay most of his remaining salary.
I am the law, bitches!
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

I bet the WS make the Reds pay most of his remaining salary.

Looks like you were right. We just gave up a good reliever and a prospect for a two-month date with this guy. Hope the hamstrings hold up. I myself don't love the deal, but time could prove me wrong.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

The Rays apparently were close to a deal this afternoon to get Jason Bay from the Pirates for two prospects. MLB.com was even reporting it as a done deal. Then the Dodgers stepped in to set up the three way deal to get Manny Ramirez. So looks like we'll be bringing a hitter up from AAA.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

This could get interesting:
Major League Baseball investigators are looking into accusations that several New York Yankees prospects from the Dominican Republic were forced to kick back portions of their signing bonuses to one or more team employees, several sources told ESPN.

The revelation is one of several developments in an ongoing investigation of a financial scandal involving the signing of players from the Dominican Republic. Last week, the Red Sox's Dominican scouting supervisor, Pablo Lantigua, was fired after MLB investigators confronted him about allegedly skimming signing bonuses, according to an MLB source.

Sources also told ESPN that the investigation is expected to implicate roughly 20 people on "a handful" of teams before it is complete. Investigators also have expanded their probe into Venezuela, where many major league clubs have player academies. "Things are coming to a head," one source familiar with MLB's investigation said.

The Yankees placed several employees on leave pending the results of baseball's probe into the possible skimming of bonuses in the Dominican Republic, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The employees scouted in the Dominican Republic, the newspaper said, citing an unidentified person in baseball who was briefed on the matter. Their names and jobs were not revealed in the report.

Four MLB investigators returned to the United States from the Dominican last week and are preparing a report for the commissioner's office. While clubs have fired several officials already implicated in the scandal, MLB has worked closely with the FBI, which is conducting its own investigation into the alleged skimming of bonuses.

One source briefed on MLB investigators' findings said he believed "less than a half-dozen" teams would be implicated, including the Yankees, Red Sox, Nationals and White Sox.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3519111
TTBHG

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by TTBHG »

^^Good business practices.
I am the law, bitches!
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

Some dumb coach for the White Sox got caught trying to bring $40,000 in cash through customs from DR. What a moron.
annarborgator

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by annarborgator »

Longoria is a damn good ball player. Just turned on the Rays/Injuns game in time to see him drop a base hit in shallow center that the CF misplayed and Longoria ended up on third. Heads up baserunning. Navarro just followed that up with a 2 run HR. Rays up 3-1, bottom 1.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

Last night, Longo had two hits in a row that had homerun distance, but hooked foul. Third pitch after that, he just crushed it out of the park. You could see it coming. The pitcher had a deer in the headlights look, because he could see it coming. The dood is a beast and he's only a rookie.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

Past few days haven't been the best for the Rays. Our left fielder, Carl Crawford, may be out for the rest of the regular season with a tendon problem in his right hand. And Evan Longoria was hit in the wrist by a pitch the other night. At first, they thought it was just a bruise, but they're now saying his wrist was fractured and he's now on the 15 day DL.

The good news is that our outfielder, Rocco Baldelli, just finally made a return after spending a couple of years getting treatment for a rare mitochondrial disorder.

And the really good news is that the call up of David Price is sounding like it is getting very very close. Dood's record is 11-0, 1.87 ERA. I am so at the first game where he trots out to the mound.
TTBHG

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by TTBHG »

After the 90th Yankee hit the DL, I chalked this year up as a loss.
I am the law, bitches!
UFGirlluvr

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by UFGirlluvr »

Freakin Reds traded Dunn for a used garbage bag and a half eaten bag of dorito's. They have officially called it a decade. Carry on with your winning,good teams. I'm jealous
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

Isn't Dunn the guy with a .250 average who strikes out 200 times a year? Sure he hits a long ball on occasion, but I think you may be better off with the used garbage bag and an empty bag of dorito's.

UFGirlluvr

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by UFGirlluvr »

Well between Dunn's 32 Hr's this year( tied for the lead in MLB) and Griffey they have traded away whatever little power they had. I guess we just gotta have faith in Walt Jockety and his track record
radbag

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by radbag »

mets up 12-0 in the 7th against the powerhouse nats
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

mets up 12-0 in the 7th against the powerhouse nats

44-77, baby. Right on time.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

The Cubbies are sharing the best record in baseball currently with some other team.
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

The Chicago baseball fan in here is keeping his mouth fucking shut so as not to jinx the baseball apocalypse that seems to be shaping up.
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

Griffey finally hit a home run for the Sox today -- against the Mariners, appropriately enough. He's hitting .209 with a HR and 7 RBIs in 13 games -- not exactly spark-plug performance.
a1bion

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by a1bion »

They did a piece on Sports Center last night, counting down the three best players ever to play for the Mariners. Griffey was number one of course, but man, you forget how good he was in his prime until they start rolling that old footage of him.
Toothy

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by Toothy »

Man. That's an interesting question, that list. I'm assuming A-Rod is #2 and either Ichiro or the Big Unit is #3?
annarborgator

Opening Day for Baseball

Post by annarborgator »

Griffey was a phenom those early years before the injuries stacked up against him.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.