BHO has excellent judment though

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

ah...I see your point now. I concur.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
Tipmoose

Post by Tipmoose »

Mom, I would hazard a guess that the reason slider posts so many of those clips is because he only views conservative views as being worthy of ridicule. When you see absolutely no value whatsoever in a differing viewpoint, you have no reason to give that view anything other than condescension.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

I've yet to see any example of Slider (or a great many liberals) being interested in any type of dialogue at all. It's totalitarian and boorish.
Star Kings Forever!
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

^^^slider, don't take this the wrong way but you always show and quote comedy shows on these subjects. NOT thay YOU are one of them, but I think it's sad that so many people get their news through these shows. I'm all for entertainment but there are so many peeps who can only quote things from these shows when asked questions about political news. Like I said, I'm not saying you are one of those people but I do notice you post and comment on these shows a lot and it just reminded me. Again...not dissing you, just commenting.
I agree - people shouldn't get their news from comedy shows. The problem is that the "traditional" media does such a piss poor job with research and follow up questions that it is very frustrating to people who are news savvy. One of the things that the Daily Show and Colbert do so well is that they point out the lies and double talk on their shows - Senator X says this, but what did he say a year ago - then they show a clip and it is usually the opposite thing. The traditional media doesn't do their homework. The DS and CR also are spoofing the news and the self important talking head punditry class. The CR is also spoofing the bloviating blowhards on the right as well.

One things to point out - many, not all, arch conservatives don't have a sense of humor. For example Colbert refers to Bill O'Reilly as Papa Bear. But he also says that bears are the most dangerous thing in the world and a threat to our way of life. Staunch right wingers don't get the subtle jab in that.

And Tip - many of the right wingers on Fox "News" are worthy of ridicule because they are so ridiculous and out there and don't realize it. See my comments above about a sense of humor. Can you disprove anything that Colbert said?

BG - pot calling the kettle black. I wouldn't talk if I were you.
If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

You're wrong, Slider, I LOVE dialogue because it means that there is active compromise. You seem to forget that I am currently enduring the nauseating atmosphere of liberal heaven- a college campus. It's ground zero for platitude and slogan driven liberalism that is neither practical or fair. It is, however, elitist and exclusionary, which makes the Orwellian nature of liberals even more surreal.
I am well aware that we are a nation that uses collectivism to support parts of our economy. I accept that. What I find inconceivable is a policy that fucks my family over for generations to come.
I really don't care for people erroneously assuming they understand geopolitics and economic theory better than me because they are of a different political party, and from my personal experience, that is how nearly every liberal behaves towards me.
Star Kings Forever!
radbag

Post by radbag »

^^^slider, don't take this the wrong way but you always show and quote comedy shows on these subjects. NOT thay YOU are one of them, but I think it's sad that so many people get their news through these shows. I'm all for entertainment but there are so many peeps who can only quote things from these shows when asked questions about political news. Like I said, I'm not saying you are one of those people but I do notice you post and comment on these shows a lot and it just reminded me. Again...not dissing you, just commenting.
+1
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

You're wrong, Slider, I LOVE dialogue because it means that there is active compromise. You seem to forget that I am currently enduring the nauseating atmosphere of liberal heaven- a college campus. It's ground zero for platitude and slogan driven liberalism that is neither practical or fair. It is, however, elitist and exclusionary, which makes the Orwellian nature of liberals even more surreal.
I am well aware that we are a nation that uses collectivism to support parts of our economy. I accept that. What I find inconceivable is a policy that fucks my family over for generations to come.
I really don't care for people erroneously assuming they understand geopolitics and economic theory better than me because they are of a different political party, and from my personal experience, that is how nearly every liberal behaves towards me.
And again, I ask you how any of this fucks over your family. You keep saying this, yet you fail to provide any reasoning behind your comments. I don't care if you disagree with me - we can agree to disagree and keep it civil. What I am trying to do is understand your logic as to your comments.

And concerning you comments about liberals not wanting dialogue - Obama reached out to the Republicans and they slapped him in the face. As usual, they are acting like spoiled children wanting to take their ball and go home unless they get their way. And as usual, the traditional media's definition of bipartisanship is Democrats caving in to Republican demands. There is never any comments about Republicans compromising - either because the media knows they won't, or because the media is too stupid to understand the meaning of the word compromise. I don't seem to recall anybody asking W if he was willing to be bipartisan. Turd Blossom basically told Democrats to fuck off.

If the Republicans choose to act like children, they should be treated as such. I predict there will be fewer of them around after 2010. And that will be fine with me. You can;t have a dialogue when one party refuses to compromise.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

I stopped reading that post when you implied the media is conservatively biased.

radbag

Post by radbag »

personally, and it not only applies to politics, i don't understand why anyone would expect compromise from the overwhelming minority.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

I stopped reading that post when you implied the media is conservatively biased.
Well I am not surprised that you belive The Big Lie of liberal media bias.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

personally, and it not only applies to politics, i don't understand why anyone would expect compromise from the overwhelming minority.
You are saying that the Republicans should just continue to be obstructions Dr. No's to everything?
IHateUGAlyDawgs

^^^No. What he's saying is why should any overwhelming minority in any situation compromise? There's no need. If the majority wants there way they can just take it.

MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Why should they step across the aisle to support something they don't agree with. Just because BHO asked them to? There has been very little compromise with this bill so I don't blame them a bit for not jumping on board.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

^^^No. What he's saying is why should any overwhelming minority in any situation compromise? There's no need. If the majority wants there way they can just take it.
on good faith?
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

I agree with 95, as well. This bill sucks, and I'm glad someone is voicing opposition to it. I'm glad the GOP is doing it as well. Maybe...just MAYBE, they're going to start supporting the ideas they should've been supporting all along.

TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Don't worry Ihate...I'm sure the Republicans would just go back to their bad habits if they had a chance.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I think the Republicans cannot win on this one.

Scenario one: Repubs support the bill and it fails...it will be their fault and people will say "you Repubs are supposed to be fiscally conservative, why did you support this."

Scenario two: Repubs support the bill and it succeeds...the democrats are so smart for coming up with this plan and the Repubs are just riding their coat tails trying to claim responsibility. Why is there a need for the Repub party anymore anyway?

Scenario three: Repubs don't support the bill and it succeeds...they were obstructionists just playing politics.

Scenario four: Repubs don't support the bill and it fails...it wouldn't work because of all the failed policies of W and his Repub cronies...it's all their fault we're in this mess and no amount of democratic good work will save us.
Okay, let's try this!

IHateUGAlyDawgs

you nailed it, m7.

radbag

Post by radbag »

You are saying that the Republicans should just continue to be obstructions Dr. No's to everything?
no...i purposely included the bit about "....and it not only applies to politics" because i knew you'd come back with a "......republicans should just continue to be obstructions" come-backer

i'm merely saying that when you have two sides with two different ideologies and angles, why would you expect the minority to relent on their beliefs?

- to become the majority?
- to abandon being labeled the minority?

i respect the rights of the minority and respect what they stand for...i respect them EVEN MORE for holding on to their core values and i respect them for standing up for what they believe.

i respect them for not cow-towing to the majority as you suggest they should.

am i to understand that you would be critical of a minority group, whose core beliefs and values you side with, if they chose to abandon those values so that they may join the values and beliefs of the majority? sounds like it.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Don't worry Ihate...I'm sure the Republicans would just go back to their bad habits if they had a chance.
Agreed. Republicans have absolutely no room to talk about fiscal responsibility, period. None of them have any credibility on that issue. Where were these newly minted fiscal conservatives when Bush started his war of convenience in Iraq? We still don't know how much the total bill for that was - including things like pallets full of money that were shipped over there that have disappeared. Don't worry though - the was was funded from loans China. Where were these conservatives? Rubber stamping anything and everything Bush wanted, while stifling debate and accusing those who disagreed with Bush as being terrorist sympathizers. (Of course, they were also doing important things like passing resolutions renaming French Fries as Freedom Fries.) Obama nailed it in his press conference when he said as such.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Scenario one: Repubs support the bill and it fails...it will be their fault and people will say "you Repubs are supposed to be fiscally conservative, why did you support this."

Scenario two: Repubs support the bill and it succeeds...the democrats are so smart for coming up with this plan and the Repubs are just riding their coat tails trying to claim responsibility. Why is there a need for the Repub party anymore anyway?

Scenario three: Repubs don't support the bill and it succeeds...they were obstructionists just playing politics.

Scenario four: Repubs don't support the bill and it fails...it wouldn't work because of all the failed policies of W and his Repub cronies...it's all their fault we're in this mess and no amount of democratic good work will save us.
additionally - in scenarios 1 and 2, the pubs have abandoned their core values and beliefs...in scenarios 3 and 4, the pubs believe that this particular legislation does not appear to support their core values and beliefs.

based on a lot of what i've read on these boards, the dems believe the pubs are the reason why we are in a financial crisis and they also believe following the pubs core beliefs and values are not, will not, and can not be successful. dems believe that CHANGE is needed as a result. now then - if the pubs cow-towed as slider has suggested that they should do for the sake of aligning with the majority (abandon their core values and beliefs), there would be something REAL, REAL WRONG with the system we have in place...nevermind the fact that the prevailing attitude of the dems would still be there about the GOP despite the GOP jumping ship on their core values and beliefs as slider suggested they should...nevermind that...i'm talking about the voice of the minority and the right to be heard.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

fuck it slider...I started writing a response that would've done nothing but make it impossible for us to get along...but I deleted it. Either way...I'm done conversing politics with you.

radbag

Post by radbag »

Agreed. Republicans have absolutely no room to talk about fiscal responsibility, period. None of them have any credibility on that issue. Where were these newly minted fiscal conservatives when Bush started his war of convenience in Iraq? We still don't know how much the total bill for that was - including things like pallets full of money that were shipped over there that have disappeared. Don't worry though - the was was funded from loans China. Where were these conservatives? Rubber stamping anything and everything Bush wanted, while stifling debate and accusing those who disagreed with Bush as being terrorist sympathizers. (Of course, they were also doing imprtant things like passing resoultions renaming French Fries as Freedom Fries.) Obama nailed it in his press conference when he said as such.
most of BHOs administration were there too.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

fuck it slider...I started writing a response that would've done nothing but make it impossible for us to get along...but I deleted it. Either way...I'm done conversing politics with you.
As I am done discussing politics with you. To the best of my knowledge, I have not gotten personal with you, but we are never going to agree. I will comment if you get out of line though. :)

Keep posting Hollywood bob's insider comments though. And where did you get that great signature block? Classic!
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

additionally - in scenarios 1 and 2, the pubs have abandoned their core values and beliefs...in scenarios 3 and 4, the pubs believe that this particular legislation does not appear to support their core values and beliefs.

based on a lot of what i've read on these boards, the dems believe the pubs are the reason why we are in a financial crisis and they also believe following the pubs core beliefs and values are not, will not, and can not be successful. dems believe that CHANGE is needed as a result. now then - if the pubs cow-towed as slider has suggested that they should do for the sake of aligning with the majority (abandon their core values and beliefs), there would be something REAL, REAL WRONG with the system we have in place...nevermind the fact that the prevailing attitude of the dems would still be there about the GOP despite the GOP jumping ship on their core values and beliefs as slider suggested they should...nevermind that...i'm talking about the voice of the minority and the right to be heard.
Let me ask you something seriously - I don't mean it as an insult or a slam. What are the core values of the Republicans? I truly don't know. It can't be fiscal responsibility as mentioned above. And it can't be smaller government as both Reagan and Bush presided over an expansion of government. The only thing I can guess is tax cuts being the cure all for every ill, including global warming and cancer. Yet we have tried that, and it has failed.

So what are the core values of the Republicans? Just opposition to everything Obama and the Democrats do? As much of a political junkie as I am, and from all the news sources I get information from, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to answer that question, I couldn't do it.

And with respect to partisan politics, there is a time and place for that. But there is also a time and place for coming together for the good of this country, such as after 9/11 and such as now. It is impossible to have a dialogue when the Republicans absolutely refuse to budge on anything.