Congress fucks things up for small businesses

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Good idea! I just told Bill and he thinks the vendors we use are big enough that they will do the testing BUT will likely pass those costs on to the dealers which will in turn get passed on to the consumer. Still it's good to know who I should bitch to anyway.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

FYI: Senator DeMint's bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation.

Both Senator Martinez and Senator Nelson sit on this committee and are therefore in a good position for you Florida voters to bring it to their attention.

Here is Senator DeMint's press release about his bill.

I don't think it's perfect (heck I don't think this law was needed at all and therefore shouldn't have been passed), but I think it's enough to minimize the worst effects of the law.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Thanks for the heads up Z. I'll at least email both Martinez and Nelson. They both heard from me on the original bailout bill...might as well write another one.

I can't remember it right now, but if anyone is interested in calling and asking questions/giving feedback to the staffers of your Congressmen, I can get you the title of the best people to ask for when you call. There's some position in the office that gets assigned groups of bills to summarize and then help formulate the rep's position on...friend of a friend told me a while back but I can't remember it off the top of my head. If you call and don't know who to ask for you'll likely end up talking to someone who's little/no help.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Great info Doc!!! I will write both Nelson and Martinez!!!
Okay, let's try this!

G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Okay, I just sent a note to both Nelson and Martinez...here it is...I know I'm not all that elloquant and I'm sure I spelled something wrong, but whatever...

Senator Nelson (Martinez),

Unfortunately I did not get any information on this in the mainstream media while it was under consideration, because if I had I assure you I would have expressed my concern over regulations that will really kill small business (of which my husband and I both own and operate) a lot sooner. Fortunately we are not manufacturers but the vendors we use and give us the product we sell will definitely be hurt and in turn, it will hurt our ability to provide a variety of products and services to our clients.

We work in sports/football equipment for schools, colleges and youth leagues. I have four kids and believe me I am just as concerned about contaminates in our products as anybody. But I think this act goes WAY overboard and the damage it will do is not worth the small amount of safety it provides. How safe will it be for kids to be playing football without protective gear?

In any case, after some research I found that Senator Jim DeMint of SC is proposing reform to this bill that I hope you will support. I understand both you and Senator Martinez (Nelson) sit on the Committee for Commerse, Science and Transportation and may be in a good position to help pass this reform and save our small businesses. Here is a link to Senator DeMint's website about this reform (for your reference):

http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=JimsJournal.Detail&Blog_ID=295d58b2-b6fe-c446-1432-24b6199424ed

I really don't think there was a need for this act to be passed at all and my first preference would be to trash it and go back to the drawing board. But Senator DeMitt's proposed reform is at least a step in the right direction.

PLEASE consider this reform and vote for it on behalf of your constituents and small businesses.

Allison Bennett
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I think that's a great letter that has a bit more oomph behind it than it would from someone like me who doesn't own a small business.

I'm trying to find the email that I sent, but I don't know what happened to it. Maybe I'll write a snail-mail letter.