RIP, Socks the cat.

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
DocZaius

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by DocZaius »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/02/socks-clinton.html
Word tonight that Socks Clinton, the one-time Arkansas stray adopted by the Clintons who rose to international prominence and literary fame as sole feline inhabitant of the White House, died today.

Throat cancer and a euthanasia shot were given as the cause. The cat who lived a Horatio Alger life was believed to be about 20.

Upon leaving the executive residence in Washington, the Clinton family gave the cat to the president's secretary, Betty Currie, who had recently lost her own pet.

Socks relinquished the public spotlight in 2001 due to term limits and spent his retirement living in Maryland where he expected regular home cooking and was particularly fond of chicken.

Socks had become attached to Currie during his White House terms, residing most hours on a blue striped chair next to her desk outside the Oval Office, which he allowed the president to use.

Though reticent in public, Socks was known as an affectionate creature, even tolerating the First Dog, a brown Labrador named Buddy, who was killed in a 2002 collision with a car near the Clintons' suburban New York home.

In an actual statement released Friday the Clintons said: "Socks brought much happiness to Chelsea and us over the years, and enjoyment to kids and cat lovers everywhere. We're grateful for those memories, and we especially want to thank our good friend, Betty Currie, for taking such loving care of Socks for so many years."

Though he was not much of a reader, Socks became internationally famous after a book was written about him -- "Dear Socks, Dear Buddy: Kids' Letters to the First Pets." It was a collection of mail he had received though, truth be told, he expressed no particular interest in any of it.

Some foreign leaders were said to have even requested to have their photo taken with the First Kitty, which he tolerated because he favored diplomacy over militancy. At the end Socks was reported unwilling to eat and unable to stand. He had a last walk outdoors Thursday in Currie's arms.

No memorial plans were announced. A private cremation was planned. Survivors are unknown but presumed plentiful.

-- Andrew Malcolm

Sounds like he had a long and happy life.

Also, Barack Obama has yet to fulfill the promise he made to his own daughters. Where is the Presidential Puppy?
G8rMom7

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by G8rMom7 »

It's not as easy as it seems Doc...I am trying to figure out the best breed to get and it's quite difficult. And it's not as easy to find a good mutt these days...the Humane Society seems to only have pit bull mixed breed types and I just don't want that kind of dog. I think with the amount of spaying and neutering that happens those little "accidents" between good solid mutts just doesn't happen as much anymore.

So then you have to find 1. A breed that works for you and your family 2. A breeder that is good and honorable and not so far away that you have to drive across country to meet the dogs and 3. A breed that won't cost more than it cost to have one of your babies.

And with the added issue of one of his daughters being allergic, then they have even more things to think about. Well, that and the economic spiral we're in and all... :)
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by radbag »

i heard the obama's have settled on a breed...a shelty
bluegrassg8r

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by bluegrassg8r »

RIP former First Cat. :(
Star Kings Forever!
G8rMom7

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by G8rMom7 »

i heard the obama's have settled on a breed...a shelty
Really??? That is the breed I grew up with...what a great dog...very smart and loving. But LOTS of hair...I can't imagine his daughter with the allergies will be okay...but I'm sure they'll give her plenty of drugs for her allergies.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by DocZaius »

Lots of breed-specific rescue groups around. Decide what you want and then go adopt.
DocZaius

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by DocZaius »

Also, maybe talk to Missy and BG about it. They seem like they're into the whole dog-fostering thing.
TheTodd

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by TheTodd »

Portuguese water dog is what they decided from what I saw on the "news."
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by radbag »

now i'm hearing it's gonna be an albino rottweiler
DocZaius

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by DocZaius »

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aIubU4RGcolA&refer=muse

People Magazine reports the Portuguese Water Dog, but they still don't have one.

Also, they're picking a name before they get the dog. How does that possibly make sense? You gotta know your pet's personality before you give him or her a name.
G8rMom7

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by G8rMom7 »

Portuguese...ha ha...I'm half Portuguese.

Doc, I know there are rescues but everytime I find a breed I like, the rescue is in some far off place...not even in FL. And there are quite a few that will ship the animal to you, but I think it's really important for us (the whole family) to meet the dog and interact with it a bit before making that big of a commitment.

The breeds I think would be best are the Norwalk Terrier (my favorite but they are very rare and thus, VERY expensive), the Australian Shephard (this is the one I'm most serious about), Border Collie and then just a good ol' medium size mutt.
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by annarborgator »

m7, check out Orange County Animal Services...I just browsed through their adoptable dogs and they have a decent number of dogs that don't look like pit mixes...

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DEPT/CEsrvcs/animal/ocNetPets.htm

Just one more resource for ya!
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
G8rMom7

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by G8rMom7 »

Thanks AA...I've gone to the ASPCA site which looks to have the same location as the OCAS site above, but you're right...there are other dogs than pitts listed...although there are not a whole lot of pups (there are some 3-4 months old) and I'm concerned if they haven't been trained by that age.  I got my dog (in my 20's) when she was 5 months old and not trained and it was a nightmare for the first 6 months or so.  I don't think I could do that now with 4 kids.  But I did like this little guy and he just got there last Friday...

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/dept/CEsrvcs/animal/NetPets/AnimalDetail.asp?ID=A132020&RT=T

OMG!!!  A Norfolk Terrier!!!! But it's already had adoption papers...argh!!!

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/dept/CEsrvcs/animal/NetPets/AnimalDetail.asp?ID=A132137&RT=T
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by annarborgator »

Never know...the first applicant may not qualify...that's so funny they have one of the breed you love! :D
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
G8rMom7

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by G8rMom7 »

^^^I just called to ask if the dog was still there. I don't want to treck all the way up there if it's not even there to meet. Bill is going to kick my ass by the way. :)
Okay, let's try this!

TheTodd

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by TheTodd »

many dogs can be a pain in the ass for several months while training
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
MinGator

RIP, Socks the cat.

Post by MinGator »

...Socks Clinton...died today.

Throat cancer and a euthanasia shot were given as the cause
ummm, really? Think the shot might have had something to do with the final cause. Why not just note that they put the cat down due to throat cancer.

The wording of this just struck me as dumb.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.