OMG. Literally the best solution I've heard yet. No joke.

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Give the toxic assets to bank executives as bonuses. If there's still a huge problem with them, start paying their salary above $150k in toxic assets. Is this not the most elegant solution you've heard so far?

Why not say that all bank compensation above a baseline amount - say, $150,000 in annual salary - has to be paid in toxic assets off the bank’s balance sheet? Instead of getting a check for $10,000, the employee would get $10,000 in toxic assets, at their current book value. A federal regulator can decide which assets to pay compensation in; if they were all fairly valued, then it wouldn’t matter which ones the regulator chose. That would get the assets off the bank’s balance sheet, and into the hands of the people responsible for putting them there - at the value that they insist they are worth. Of course, the average employee does not get to set the balance sheet value of the assets, and may not have been involved in creating or buying those particular assets. But think about the incentives: talented people will flow to the companies that are valuing their assets the most realistically (since inflated valuations translate directly into lower compensation), which will give companies the incentive to be realistic in their valuations. (Banks could inflate their nominal compensation amounts to compensate for their overvalued assets, but then they would have to take larger losses on their income statements.)

http://baselinescenario.com/2009/02/08/heres-an-idea/
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

you know...I could get on board with this...-so long as these are the same executives that were part of the problem.

radbag

Post by radbag »

all stock owners own the toxic assets.

the CEOs are the ones who own the most stock...they've got skin in the game.