mark cuban being charged for insider trading

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
radbag

Post by radbag »

owner of the dallas mav's
radbag

Post by radbag »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122693827604333637.html

The Securities and Exchange Commission filed insider trading charges against Mark Cuban, the outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks, for allegedly dumping shares in Mamma.com upon learning it was raising money in a private offering.

The SEC alleges in a civil action that Mr. Cuban sold his entire 6% ownership stake on June 28, 2004, after learning that Mamma.com was raising money through a private investment in a public entity, or PIPE. The next day, on June 29, the company announced the PIPE financing and shares of the company dropped by more than 10%. By selling his stake, the SEC alleges, Mr. Cuban avoided more than $750,000 in losses.

In a PIPE transaction new shares are issued at a discount to the current trading price. An announcement of a PIPE transaction is often followed by a drop in the stock price as shareholders anticipate their stake will be diluted.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I wanna know how he learned of the private equity deal.
radbag

Post by radbag »

some ambitious, up and coming analyst probably filled him in for courtsides.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I guess Cuban needs to lay off the PIPE.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Cases like this one and Martha Stewart always kill me. These are people who have fuck you money coming out their wazoos and they just can't resist making the inside trade to avoid losing a little bit of money or making themselves feel important because they knew what the rest of the peons didn't.
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

The SEC found another posterboy to prop up the facade that they are doing something. Martha Stewart and Mark Cuban, the SEC is doing its part to keep the criminals off the street.
I am the law, bitches!
radbag

Post by radbag »

to be clear, cuban is named in a civil complaint...the difference between this and martha stewarts is that a fine is being sought after...no jail time for cuban.
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

Stewart went to jail for lying and not for insider trading. Just making a point.
I am the law, bitches!
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

to be clear, cuban is named in a civil complaint...the difference between this and martha stewarts is that a fine is being sought after...no jail time for cuban.

Not only that, but he can settle it by throwing money at it and never admit that he did anything wrong.
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

^Isn't being rich great?
I am the law, bitches!
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I looked around for a few other articles on this story, just to get some more detail for it. Cuban's net worth is $1.8 billion. He pulled this stunt to avoid a potential loss of $750,000, which is crap to him.

Now MLB might reconsider his bid to buy the Chicago Cubs, due to character issues, stemming from this investigation. Boggles the mind.
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

MLB said there was 0% chance of buying the Cubs well before this. They wanted nothing to do with Cuban.
I am the law, bitches!
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

mlb is short sighted imo.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.