Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Fuckbeans.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

The University of Hawaii will make its first ever trekinto Ben Hill Griffin Stadium against the University of Florida GatorsSaturday for a 12:30 p.m. game that is the season opener for bothteams. The Warriors have a lousy travel agent. August afternoons areabsolutely brutal in The Swamp. Hawaii will also be just four daysremoved from a six-hour time difference.

TheWarriors will spend two days in Atlanta practicing and getting readyfor the Gators before they head to Gainesville on Friday for a walkthrough in The Swamp.
Here is a breakdown of Hawaii vs. Florida:
COACHING:
New Hawaii head coach Greg McMackin will bring five new assistantcoaches to the Sunshine State for their Warrior debut. Defensive linecoach Dave Aranda, defensive tackles/special teams coach Ikaika Malloe,quarterback coach Nick Rolovich, running backs/offensive line coachAlex Gerke, and offensive line coach Brian Smith will play in perhapsthe most unwelcome venue in college football .
In fact, Hawaii is the only school in Division-I with brothers asposition coordinators. Ron Lee runs the Hawaii offensive coordinator,while Cal Lee runs the Warriors defense. Ron Lee was mentored by formerHawaii run-and-shoot guru Mouse Davis.
Florida counters Urban Meyer, 72-16, as a head coach with one nationalchampionship. The Gators have three new assistants --- Dan McCarney(defensive line), Vance Bedford (cornerbacks), and Kenny Carter(running backs) are excited to coach in their first game in The Swamp.
Big Edge: FLORIDA
FLORIDA OFFENSE VS. HAWAII DEFENSE:
The depth chart will state that Florida returns eight starters from2007. Don’t be so easily fooled. Left tackle Phil Trautwein is a formerstarter, forced to sit out last season due to injury. And while MikePouncey wasn’t a starter on the offensive line, he did start four gamesat defensive tackle. It’s not entirely like he hasn’t experienced thewars in the trenches and that certainly accounts for something.
Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow returns, looking to lead the Gatorsto an SEC Eastern Division title. Tebow has several major weapons athis disposal --- a veteran offensive line, skilled playmakers at thereceivers’ positions and talented running backs. You could also throwin superior depth.
I expect the Gators to work out a variety of looks in hopes ofexecuting them to near perfection in games against Miami and Tennesseeto open the early schedule. Florida definitely wants to flex its muscleand run the football. The Gators have a stable of backs and Meyer willwant to see what they can do in a live setting. I’m especiallyinterested in seeing some of double tight end formations and if theFlorida offensive line moves the Warriors defensive line off the ball.
Hawaii returns two starters on the defensive line and left defensivetackle Fale Laeti is penciled in as a reserve on the depth chart. Itreally doesn’t matter --- it’s the first game of the season with a12:30 p.m. start time --- the Warriors coaching staff will be runningguys in and out the there.
The strength of the Warriors defensive unit is their linebacking corps.Buck linebacker Soloman Elimimian (6-0, 225) missed a week of practiceand just returned on Monday. Two-year starter Adam Leonard (6-0, 235)joins Elimimian as players who will play under the watchful eye of NFLscouts. Junior outside linebacker Blaze Soares (6-1, 235) was a keyreserve last season playing in nine games. He was expected to take overone of the positions, but was injured just after practice opened andwill miss the opener. Brashton Satele will suit-up in the middle forthe Warriors.
The Warriors must replace both of their starting corners and safetyHowever, the Hawaii coaching staff actually feels much better about thetalent level of their secondary this season. They feel as though thiswill be a more physical, athletic group. I have to believe this willbe an enormous first test out of the gate and just don’t see tremendoussuccess for the Warrior secondary.
Huge Edge: FLORIDA
HAWAII OFFENSE VS . FLORIDA DEFENSE:
Who will be the starter at quarterback for Hawaii? Sophomore BrentRausch (6-4, 180) was named the starter, but has struggled the past fewdays with soreness in his throwing arm. Junior Greg Alexander (6-3,230) received most of the snaps with the first-unit in his place. Lastseason’s top reserve quarterback Tyler Graunke practiced for the firsttime this week after dealing with academic difficulties. He was notscheduled to make the trip to Gainesville.
Whoever wins the job will be throwing to senior Michael Washington,senior Aaron Bain, and junior Brice Lane. Washington (3), Bain (5) andLane (14) secured a combined 22 receptions in 2007. Former head coachJune Jones did not believe in substituting to the degree that manyother head coaches do.
Injuries have played a big role in disrupting the running game. The toptwo running backs were injured and the position will apparently bemanned by Leon Wright-Jackson (6-1, 215) or Daniel Libre (5-8, 185).
The Warrior offensive line returns three offensive starters from a yearago --- Keith AhSoon (6-1, 315) has moved from left tackle to guard.Center John Estes (6-2, 295) and right tackle Keoni Steinhoff (6-3,295) will once again man his right side spot. Hawaii has no depth upfront and if conditions are indeed radical, expect the Gators to reapthe benefits.
The Florida defense has a few new faces. There are several playersfighting for a spot on the defensive line. Lawrence Marsh has lookedthe most impressive from start to present at defensive tackle. TheGators will utilize a rotation including Terron Sanders, Justin Trattouand Matt Patchan. The first defensive ends group contains JermaineCunningham and Carlos Dunlap.
The Gators might be playing without middle linebacker Brandon Spikes.A.J. Jones, Ryan Stamper, and Dustin Doe will be the starters in theevent Spikes is out. Brandon Hicks will be the top backup. The Gatorswere expected to have some quality competition with Lorenzo Edwards.But, Edwards was injured during drills and has missed some qualitytime.
The Florida secondary returns cornerbacks Joe Haden, WondyPierre-Louis, Markihe Anderson, and Jacques Rickerson. The word is thatHaden, Pierre-Louis, and true freshman Janoris Jenkins have looked goodin practice. With Hawaii going four wide most of the time, expectHaden, Pierre-Louis and Jenkins to be in the game most of the time.
The safety position will be manned by sophomores Major Wright andAhmad Black. They will be backed up by true freshman Will Hill andreceiver-turned-defensive back Justin Williams.
Edge: FLORIDA
SPECIAL TEAMS:
Lou Groza candidate Dan Kelly returns for his fourth season as theHawaii placekicker. He connected on more than 70 percent of his kicks.Kelly has also nailed a game winning field goal, as well as, a fieldgoal that sent a game into overtime.
Senior Tim Grasso also returns for his swan song for the Warriors. Heaveraged 39.7 yards per punt. Ryan Mouton and Malcolm Lane are back toreturn kicks. The pair was among the top 20 in the nation last season.
The Gators have an ongoing battle between Jonathan Phillips and truedfreshman Caleb Sturgis for the placekicking job. Sophomore Chas Henryreturns to handle the punting duties. Henry averaged 39.3 yards perkick.
Brandon James is one of the nation’s most dynamic return men. James ison-track to secure several records both kickoff and punt returns. Whowill join him on the kick return team? Rainey? Demps?
Hawaii gets the edge returning both kickers. The Warriors also havetheir kickoff return men back. I do think that Florida is the betterpunt block squad.
Slight Edge: HAWAII

a1bion

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by a1bion »

Thanks, Hater!
MinGator

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by MinGator »

thanks dude.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
radbag

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by radbag »

i think hawaii's QB is gonna have more passing yards than tebow.
RickySlade

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by RickySlade »

I think Hawaii's QB is gonna have a better season than Tebow.
(Tipping a waitress) Here's fifty bucks; take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch later.
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

Hawaii's quarterback just made the biggest play the Gators have had all game. That's some real eye-popping improvement for the Gator Defense so far... [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .
annarborgator

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by annarborgator »

There you go ef.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

'Bout time.
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

Did the best offensive line in the SEC just give up a sack to Hawaii???

I don't know why I'm so salty about it this morning. I was just hoping to see them come out and put on a show...especially on offense.
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

Thank you Brandon!
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

Now they gettin' it together.
efbart

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by efbart »

I got my show.
G8rMom7

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by G8rMom7 »

11 posts? We should have a game day thread every week. I was at the girls dance class for the first half, but listened to it on the radio when I could. Go Gators! I can't wait to watch the second quarter tomorrow on Breakfast with the Gators!
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by annarborgator »

Thought it was a solid game after our defense woke up.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Hawaii v. UF Breakdown

Post by radbag »

thought strong had a great game adjusting to all those middle screens and shovel passes...