Doc - Videos to You Tube

You got a problem? Tell us.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

I had an idea of putting a short video to a DVD and THEN trying to download it to my computer and use the Window Movie Maker to edit it and such. But I'm having trouble importing it to the Movie Player from my hard drive. I saved it to my videos and I can watch it but it won't save to the Movie Maker. Is that because I have other Media players on my computer (for work)? I just signed up for You Tube and I'm going to see if I can download the video as is in there...but it's over 5 minutes long and I want to cut it down. Oh well...let me know what you think.
Okay, let's try this!

TheTodd

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by TheTodd »

Allison, what format is the video saved as on your computer?
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

The format could be a problem. It's not because you have other media players.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

Yeah, I thought about that format thing..and I couldn't figure it out. I think it's .mov but I'm not sure.
Okay, let's try this!

G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

I just checked...it says .VOB after the file name. I can't figure out how to reformat it. It doesn't even give me the option so "save as" anywhere. Very confusing.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

OK. That tells me that it's a DVD format. You're gonna have to convert it somehow to one of the more common formats like wmv or mpg or avi.

The easiest thing to do, if you're so inclined, is to transfer it directly from your camera to your computer.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

And thus my problem comes full circle. I'll see if I can somehow use this little USB/camera cord. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

Try it. It'll probably work.
TheTodd

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by TheTodd »

Allison, how big is the file? If you have a GMAIL account you could e-mail it to me and I could convert it for you if you are still having issues later tonight.

I say GMAIL because they have a 20mb limit on their file attachment size and if it is smaller than that you could e-mail it to me.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

Nah...the file is too big Todd...I know I could never send it. I couldn't even download it on You Tube as it was.

I just hooked it up the little USB cord I use for my digital camera and it kept saying it couldn't read a devise was connected. I turned the video recorder on to the Play/Edit function and played the video but it just wasn't reading it. Maybe I'll be able to do it on my other computer.

When I go to work tomorrow I'll talk to our video production guy and I'm sure he'll figure it out for me. He'll likely be able to download it for me himself.

thanks!
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

It sounds like it detected the camera, but didn't have the right driver for it. Go to Sony.com and try to find it.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

Are you sure? It looked like it didn't even read that there was any hardware hooked up...it didn't show up when I went to "My Computer" either. I need a DV cord I'm fairly sure.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

What model is it?
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

It's a Sony Handycam MiniDV DCR-HC38
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

It should have come with a CD with a driver on it.

Sony's web site says that drivers should come preinstalled with Windows XP, but they don't.

I happened to find a driver, attached to this post, that might work for you.
DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

Hey, did you ever get it working?

Did you try the driver I suggested?
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

No...I think I just need a different cord...our video producer talked to me about it...I need to go to Best Buy. Plus, I need to try this on my personal computer instead of my work one...who knows what sort of annoying protections my work computer has.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

I'm tellin' ya, if the holes fit, they fit and it works.

Have you read your camera's manual?
DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

The specs page, [url=http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=11034162&langId=-1]here[/url], indicates that it has USB Streaming, just like mine does.

On my camera, you have to go to the menu to make sure that USB streaming is turned on.

[url=http://media.onecall.com/Image_Products/Sony/DCR-HC38_IM_English.pdf]The manual[/url] (PDF), which you should probably read, says the same thing (turn to page 40).

You can also transfer using a "Firewire" cable, which Sony calls the "i.Link" cable. These cables can be expensive (and [url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=3625660&st=i.link&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1058792506197]I guarantee it'll be expensive at Worst Buy[/url]) and may not work. When I tried it with my camera, it didn't and Sony wouldn't help me with troubleshooting it.

The USB streaming, however, worked just great. Please, understand what I'm telling you: install the software on your computer and make sure you camera has USB streaming enabled before you plunk down your hard-earned money. All you need is the USB cable, which is probably the same one that works with your digital still camera (you know the one, it's got a USB connection on one side that you stick into your computer and a smaller plug on the other that sticks into your device). It's known as a "B Male to A Male" cable.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203038]Here's one[/url] you can get for $9.99. Good luck getting one at Best Buy for that price.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

Thanks Doc...the guy from work just brought me a cable and it was the same one I have (that works with my digital camera). Anyway, I will read my manual about "USB streaming" on my camera. I'm reluctant to download the driver thing because this is my work computer. But I will try to do so on our home computer.

I haven't done anything about this all week due to craziness at home and work. But thanks for the great advice. I promise I will NOT spend money until I try your suggestions first!
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by DocZaius »

Good. Sorry to be so in your face about it, but I'm one of those folks who just has to be right about everything.
TTBHG

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by TTBHG »

Sorry to be so in your face about it, but I'm one of those folks who just has to be right about everything.

Rad, is that you?
I am the law, bitches!
TheTodd

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by TheTodd »

Ouch.

Doc, I can be the same way. At least when I know I'm right about something.
G8rMom7

Doc - Videos to You Tube

Post by G8rMom7 »

I DID IT!!![/size]

Video production will hopefully be posted soon! 1. I found the discs that came with my camera. 2. I figured out how to set my camera on USB drive 3. Windows Movie Worker was easy.

The video looks really dark...darker than it does on the camera. I tried lightening it up, but it's still dark. Oh well...now I will try to go and load it on You Tube...Lainie is going to freak out.
Okay, let's try this!