it's rivalry week

Fuckbeans.
radbag

it's rivalry week

Post by radbag »

[img]http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/882/555693.jpg[/img]

[img]http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/882/565816.jpg[/img]

Tim Tebow was always a Florida fan but being the top dual-threat quarterback in the 2006 class, he wanted to be open-minded to schools other than the one in Gainesville. Alabama, Southern California, Michigan and LSU were on the list at one point or another. Florida State? He gave the Seminoles a few looks but not so much.

"I wanted to be open to a lot of schools but it was still kind of hard to be open to them," Tebow said.

The sophomore starter for Florida and a Heisman Trophy frontrunner, Tebow said he took two visits to Florida State but his heart was with the Gators. He grew up watching the team, always clutching a football, sometimes having to leave the room because he could not contain his enthusiasm.

He has former Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel's autograph among many others and talks with the 1996 Heisman winner on occasion. Two weeks ago, Tebow accounted for all seven of Florida's touchdowns against South Carolina and coach Steve Spurrier, the 1966 Heisman winner at Florida.

Will Tebow become the third Florida player – and first sophomore ever – to win college football's most coveted individual award? Time will tell. For now, he's focused on Florida State.

Neither team has the national championship in its sights this season. Florida is out of the SEC Championship race. Still, this is Florida-Florida State week and that's all the motivation either side needs.

"This is probably the game as a kid you most dream about playing," Tebow said. "Florida-Florida State is such a huge rivalry especially in the '90s. I'm excited about playing in this game. It doesn't matter what the records are.

"I don't know if you even need any more motivation for this week. It's just Florida State. That's a big enough game for us. The hopes of getting back in the top 10, possibly getting to a BCS game and playing in a big bowl game, that's a lot of motivation but I don't think we'll even need that for this week."

Tebow dodged all Heisman-related questions at his Monday news conference, saying he is solely focused on the Seminoles and will worry about post-season awards after this week. Still, he has become a national story and he'll be playing in a nationally-televised game when the teams meet at 5 p.m. Saturday. The game will be on CBS.

Tebow has completed 198 of 289 passes (68.5 percent) for 2,870 yards with 26 touchdowns and six interceptions. The Maxwell and Davey O'Brien Award finalist also leads the team with 749 rushing yards and 20 scores on 181 attempts, breaking all kinds of records along the way. Rivals.com has Tebow No. 1 on its Heisman Watch list this week.

"You just worry about Florida State," Tebow said. "That's enough to worry about. That's where all my energy is focused on is getting ready to play them and then maybe after them worry about that."

Freshman defensive end Justin Trattou played at Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep so he knew about the Florida-Florida State rivalry but he never got the full appreciation of it because he was so removed.

The first game he ever saw at Florida Field was the Gators' season opener against Western Kentucky this season. Trattou has not been around this rivalry for long but he's beginning to understand what it's all about.

"Everyone (up north) knows about the Florida-Florida state rivalry," said Trattou, who had two sacks against Florida Atlantic. "I'll find out on Saturday…I'm sure I'll get some hate."

If Florida State junior linebacker Geno Hayes has his way, the Seminoles will ruin Tebow's Heisman chances. Hayes said the Seminoles drew extra motivation from the chance to slow down Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, a former Heisman hopeful, earlier this season. Florida State upset then-No. 2 Boston College, 27-17. Hayes offered up this bulletin board material on Monday.

"Tim Tebow is going down this week," he said. "That is our attitude…(Tebow) adds another dimension with the Heisman so everyone will get pumped up for that. Hopefully, we can go out there and shatter his dreams. That's our plan go shatter his dreams for the Heisman."

Tebow did not add fuel to the fire when asked if he wanted to respond to Hayes' comments after Florida's Monday evening workout.

"That's fine," he said. "It doesn't change anything. I'll focus on them just as hard as anybody else and just get ready to play. That's it. It doesn't change my mentality or anything."

Not only is the Florida-Florida State matchup always a big deal on the field but also for recruiting purposes. The Gators are expected to host a bunch of top-notch prospects this weekend. Many others will more than likely be watching on television.

Coach Urban Meyer said after Florida beat the Seminoles in 2005 he had to walk into the post-game locker room with his hands in his pockets because so many people wanted to congratulate him and prospects wanted to commit on the spot.

He might have been overstating it a little bit but the point is well-taken: It doesn't hurt recruiting when your team wins the Florida-Florida State game. Tebow said he expects to talk with the prospects as well.

"I usually do no matter what week it is," he said. "I'll try to see as many recruits as I can and let them know this is the best place in the country and this is where you need to come. I don't have a speech or anything I give to recruits. I'm honest with them.

"I tell them this is the best place in the country. Why would you want to go somewhere else?"
G8rMom7

it's rivalry week

Post by G8rMom7 »

I love him.
Okay, let's try this!

UFgirlfan07

it's rivalry week

Post by UFgirlfan07 »

I love him.

+9999999999999999999999999
a1bion

it's rivalry week

Post by a1bion »

I saw where Mickey Andrews said that they only way to stop Tebow would be to do some things that would land his players in jail, so I'm sure he's glad he's got Geno on the roster.
Welshgator

it's rivalry week

Post by Welshgator »

Dockett will probably be invited to watch from the sideline.
annarborgator

it's rivalry week

Post by annarborgator »

this is the one week a year where i truly hope something terrible happens to our opponent and in this case, i'd love to see the entire seminole team drop fucking dead on the field this weekend.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
Toothy

it's rivalry week

Post by Toothy »

I hate the Vols, but at least they're our SEC brethren.

Florida State is beneath contempt.