Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

You got a problem? Tell us.
G8rMom7

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

We got to watch the UF vs LSU game last week on Bill's uncle's TV...it was really cool and such a different viewing experience. I'm going to start the search but I'm wondering if any of you have opinions as to good quality for the money type brands. I've been told to go with LCD as opposed to Plasma. We don't need it to be HUGE but we have a 32 inch right now and I'd like it to be a bit bigger than that. Any ideas???
Okay, let's try this!

G8rMom7

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

What is the difference bwt. 720p and 1080p? Is the latter THAT much better to warrant a good 500 or so more? Seems like you can get a decent one for around a grand if you settle for a 720p. Opinions?
Okay, let's try this!

IHateUGAlyDawgs

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

1080 is MUCH better.

I prefer Plasma, but it's a matter of personal preference, m7.

Most of the Plasma problems dealt w/ the bulbs or whatever they're called burning out and as far as I'm aware now, those problems have been addressed.

Try consumer reports...

radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

video games on LCD are much safer than on plasma due to burn out risk...plasma seems to be better with the black colors imo...

i think i'm gonna purchase this for the college gameday this weekend

Sony - BRAVIA XBR 52" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: KDL-52XBR5 | SKU: 8547593
TheTodd

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by TheTodd »

720p is just fine. I just purchased an LG 32' and it really has a great picture. The TV is kind of buggy though as I am already going to have to get it repaired after only 1 week.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

720p is just fine. I just purchased an LG 32' and it really has a great picture. The TV is kind of buggy though as I am already going to have to get it repaired after only 1 week.
m7 - this further leads me to believe what I told you earlier - it's all personal preference.

Find somethign you and Bill like and can afford and go with that.

G8rMom7

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

Thanks guys! I wonder about the new Brand name like Vizio and the other one that I can't think of right now. Are they any good? You know I used to have a membership to Consumer Reports and I let it go because the only thing I ever used it for was cars...since I got a car, I quit getting it. I'm lame. Thanks again all!
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

went to best buy last night and picked up that tv...it'll be delivered friday, just in time for the lexington massacre.

[img]http://www.marcush.de/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/kdl-46xbr4.jpg[/img]
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

looks like a sweet TV, rad.

apexgator

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by apexgator »

I just got a 40" Samsung LCD a few months ago. Can't think of the model # off hand but am very happy with it.
radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

^ are you using HDMI cables or components? big debate between my friends and i...am curious as to what you think apex....thanks.
radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

btw - i'm addicted to HDTV...i won't watch anything else. it's like crack.
annarborgator

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by annarborgator »

discoveryHD is the shit
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
TheTodd

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by TheTodd »

I believe the way to go is to go with HDMI cables? What say you rad?
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

I believe the way to go is to go with HDMI cables? What say you rad?

really all depends on your SOURCE and your DISPLAY if that makes sense.

component cables on a stock source and stock display do the trick just as good...when you get into premium sources (1080i or 1080p) and premium displays, it makes a difference.

additionally - the hdmi's are expensive...
TheTodd

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by TheTodd »

they are at stores...look to get HDMI cables online. MUCH cheaper. The stores are trying to turn a buck on pushing the HDMI cables at point of purchase when you buy a TV from them. They have a huge mark-up on them.
radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

i have a 30 day back guarantee.

the component cables work good enough....i'll put that money towards a PS3
radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

^^^ shit, but don't you need HDMI cables for a PS3???
TheTodd

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by TheTodd »

dunno...return them anyways and buy them online. Seriously. You'll save $30+.
MinGator

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by MinGator »

HDMI is much better with a high quality source. don't short yourself on a good picture, you spent all the money on the TV might as well spend the extra couple of bucks on quality connections.
plasma does do a better "black" but unless you have a LCD and plasma side by side i doubt you'd notice.
as far as 720 vs 1080 the bigger you go screen size the more you'll notice. 36" and smaller probably not too noticeable, bigger than that and i think you can see the difference.

as rad said, HD is addictive. i start surfing the DirecTV HD channels first, if i find something i like i stay there. it's only after there is nothing in HD that i'll "settle" for regular def. i'm an HD snob.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

Wow, I'm glad I came back here. So I think I have decided on a minimum of 42" LCD 1080p. It looks like I can get a decent name brand for around 1500 at BJ's or even Walmart has decent prices. Now, what's this crap about the cable??? I know this was what caused my dad some issues with his. It wasn't until my nephews helped him get the right cables, he was NOT happy with his TV...now he loves it.

I did call Brighthouse and they said my box could be replaced fairly quickly and it would only be $3 more a month. So will they use the right cables? Or will I still need to get some of my own. BTW, we will not be using it for games. At least not for now. Also, do I need to get it "installed" if I don't plan on hanging it on the wall? Or is it something I could set up on my own with the cable guy. (no jokes about the cable guy please). I happen to like my cable company...they have given us excellent service. I may be paying more than I would if I got all the equipment (routers, etc.) on my own, but I love the fact that if something goes wrong, they come out immediately and replace whatever is not working.

Thanks for all the insights! And I agree....after watching the UF vs. LSU on a Hi-Def, Bill and I have both been jonesing for one of our own. His new goal is to have one by the UF vs. FSU game. He just put some more helmets and facemasks on Ebay to make some money. [img]{SMILIES_PATH}/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by radbag »

allison - there are two types of connection cables you will need to attach the HD cable box to your HD tv....HDMI cables or component cables...check your cable company and see if the component cables come with the HD cable box...mine did...HDMI cables transfer the data digitally to your HD tv...component cables transfer the data to your HD tv in an analog format.

as i've stated, the difference could be small to none depending on your source of data and your monitor...if we're talking regular HD tv broadcasts via the cable company to a standard type HD tv, the component cables will suffice...if we're talking a blu ray player or HD tv broadcasts to a souped up, above standard, high performance television, the differences in quality of picture (transferal of data) could be more obvious...

in my opinion, unless you are outfitting a theater or movie house, the component cables will suffice...i did the comparison on my HD tv using component cables and HDMI cables and saw no difference in audio OR video while viewing HD channels on the HD cable box...both came crisp and both were astounding...

the HDMI cables are not always better in all cases....studies have shown loss of data in HDMI transfers of over 250 feet or more...don't know if you'll need that but that's just a lil factoid for you to have...also, HDMI cables are quite expensive...my 16 feet of HDMI cable cost 169 bucks...i've returned it within 30 days and got my card reimbursed...had there been an improvement in quality of sound or video over the component cable connection, i would have had to think long and hard about keeping them...i may want to revisit it if we get a PS3.

as far as installing the HD cable box, it's very, very simple...just take out your old box and plug in your new box...cable in from the cable outside and cable out to the tv...nothing more. time warner cable currently has about 20 high def channels but i've read that the FCC has mandated ALL channels go to high def by 2009...also have read that the high def channels take up a LOT of bandwidth and that there are discussions with respects to DROPPING some of the inane channels that no one cares about to accomodate more high def channeling...

all fascinating stuff...i love technology...i'd inquire as to the component cables being included with your HD box...i'd also not consider the HDMI cables unless either the source of HD is that sophisticated or the display is that high performance in which you will require it...but for regular tv viewing from 10 to 16 feet away, i'd do component cables.

btw - a 42 inch tv is great...the smaller, the more detailed and crisp...the bigger the screen, the further you will have to sit to get optimum viewing...how far is the seating from your tv?
G8rMom7

Okay, best Hi-Def LCD TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

It's not too far...Bill wants a 45 or 47 and I think that would be ideal, but he'll have to sell a bunch more helmets for us to afford a good one that size. The TV isn't too far though as our house is small anyway. THANKS SO MUCH for the great info above. I am so happy that I think I understand now what I'll need to do.
Okay, let's try this!