Gators in the Olympics: Preview

Fuckbeans.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

The 2012 Olympic Games begin tomorrow, July 25. Over 30 Gator athletes and 2 coaches are in London as we speak, preparing for competition.

The University of Florida is usually well-represented at the Olympics, and this year is no different, with particularly strong representation in swimming, track and field and women's soccer. The Gators are expected to bring home a number of medals, probably more than most countries. With so many potential medal-winners, the big question is, "How many?"

The medal count will be particularly high in swimming, due to the sheer number of UF athletes entered - 23 current, former or future swimmers representing 12 countries will compete in the Games. A number of Gator swimmers are expected to make the podium, led by the ever-popular Ryan Lochte. Lochte is favored to earn a medal in each of his five events. On the women's side, Elizabeth "Diesel" Beisel could take home two individual medals; she will be favored to win the 400 individual medley.

The very first event to feature UF athletes will be the first round of women's soccer on Wednesday, July 25. Abby Wambach, Heather Mitts and the rest of the US soccer team will face off against France. The game will be televised live at noon on NBC Sports Network, or you can watch it live over the internet here.

I will try to post summaries of the events in which UF athletes are competing each day of the Games. Keep watching this space!

The following is a list of UF athletes in the Olympics, by sport:

Track & Field
Tony McQuay (USA)
Will Claye (USA)
Christian Taylor (USA)
Kerron Clement (USA)
Genevieve LaCaze (Australia)
Kemal Mesic (Bosnia)
Shara Proctor (UK)

Moise Joseph (Haiti)
Novlene Williams-Mills (Jamaica)

Mike Holloway (Coach - USA)

Swimming
Ryan Lochte (USA)
Conor Dwyer (USA)
Elizabeth Beisel (USA)
Bradley Ally (Barbados)
Brett Fraser (Cayman Islands)
Shaune Fraser (Cayman Islands)
Omar Andres Pinzon (Colombia)
Gemma Spofforth (UK)
Jemma Lowe (UK)
Marco Loughran (UK)
Stephanie Proud (UK)
Marcin Cieslak (Poland)

Csaba Gercsak (Hungary)
Sarah Bateman (Iceland)
Hrafnhildur Luthersdottir (Iceland)

Raul Martinez (Puerto Rico)
Sebastian Rousseau (South Africa)
Melani Costa-Schmid (Spain)
Sarra Lajnef (Tunisia)
Gregg Troy (USA - Coach)

Basketball
Joakim Noah (France - qualified but withdrew due to injury)
Azania Stewart (UK)

Soccer
Abby Wambach (USA)
Heather Mitts (USA)

Mel Booth (Canada - alternate)

Women's Tennis
Lisa Raymond (USA)

Others Associated with UF
Peter Vanderkaay (Swimming - USA) - a Michigan alum, but trains with Coach Gregg Troy in Gainesville.
Sinead Russell (Swimming - Canada) - incoming freshman
Clark Burckle (Swimming - USA) - former UF swimmer, transferred to University of Arizona

Dana Vollmer (Swimming - USA) - former UF swimmer, transferred to University of California - Berkeley
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Cool to see Lisa Raymond still going strong in tennis.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Hello to all our visitors! Why don't you take the time to visit our forums, register and say hello?
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Nice work Doc. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the UF athletes do well.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Thanks Doc! This is cool!