Game of Thrones - Season 2

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Begins soon. If anyone can make heads or tails out of all these characters, let me know. I've got a chart from last season:

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

^^ Chart not exactly accurate due to possibility of spoilers for those who haven't read the books or seen the show.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

I've read all the books a couple of times. If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to answer them if I can.
G8Rpmc

Post by G8Rpmc »

Kyle remembers all the characters and has helped us during the first season to keep things straight. He really is spot on with this stuff. Another time when his "nerdiness" has helped us. :) (His wife says he is a nerd, so can't his own mom? He knows how proud I am that he and his dad are higher ups in the nerd department. Like I'm so cool.Image )

Marty and I are looking forward to season 2. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I love living in Florida.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

[video=youtube;VVkr9oYsIbo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkr9oYsIbo[/video]
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Kyle, how close is the series to the books so far?

The only thing I want is to see that little shit Joffrey die in a very painful way. I want that bastard Littlefinger to die too. Don't tell me anything please.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

Well, I just got the series on bluray. I will definitely be recording episode 1 of season 2 this weekend, since HBO is having a free preview weekend. But I've only watched the first four episodes of season one so far. They are pretty accurate, but there are some scenes that never happened in the books. But what I've found is that those scenes have been telling background information that you otherwise wouldn't get, and they've been ways to advance the story on screen. So I think they did a fantastic job, from what I can tell. All the characters seem to fit their roles perfectly.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

And slideman, the only thing I'll say is that some people that you want to die, do die, and others don't. Most American movies have the good guy winning and the bad guy dying, but if you've finished season one you know that this isn't the case with these stories. As the books go along your views will change on characters a few times. Their motivations become clear and their actions almost seem reasonable. And it seems to me that the good guys die off a lot faster than the bad guys in these books.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I think the series portrays the "big picture" fairly accurately even if some of the details change. The books are so detailed, with so many story lines and characters, that there's no way a TV show could fit it all in and still be watchable.

Slider, if you don't want to be spoiled, you probably should wait to read the books. As Kyle mentioned, characters die when you're not expecting it and other characters live, even though you want and expect them to die. Hell, some characters who you thought were evil bastards become sympathetic - almost heroic.

I only hope that the author fully fleshes out the story in the expected 7 books and that he does so pretty soon.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Dammit, when are they going to release the episodes online? Many TV shows are available 24 hours after the original air date, but not GoT.

HBO, you're going to drive me back to torrenting - wouldn't you rather have my $1.99 per episode?
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Thanks Doc and Kyle. Joffrey is a sadistic little shit who I hope is killed by Arya. I would love to see that. And Littlefinger is a backstabbing weasel. Loyalty and honor are important words and ideas in my world, so when someone violates those ideas, I don't have much sympathy for them. Please don't post spoilers though. I haven't read the books, and I am fighting the temptation to go to Wikipeida and read the entries on the books. Thanks.

That being said, what did you think of the premier this season? Is Stannis that much of a shit in the books? And is each seaosn corresponding with the books?
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I couldn't resist getting spoiled and reading the books. I kind of wish I hadn't, because the big reveal in season one (and in the first book) was so shocking. What was your reaction to it?
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

I couldn't believe they did that - unbelievable!

Have you read all of the books?

I have a nephew who is a history buff. He says this book is a literary story of the 100 Years War. I wonder if that is true. However, the map of Westeros does look a bit like England......
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

I've heard that too.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I've read them all, but there is so much crap going on in them that a re-read will undoubtedly be necessary.

It is loosely based on both the Hundred Years War and the War of the Roses, however, I don't think it's meant to be a close adaptation.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Man Joffrey is a little sadistic shit! And WTF did the Fire Priestess give birth to?
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Still trying to catch up. I'm only halfway through the second episode. But yes, Joffrey is a little asshole. And I'm not telling you anything about Melisandre (the Fire Priestess).
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Well THAT was interesting. I didn't see that one coming.

It's interesting that I can enjoy the show so much given how much I despise most of the characters. My wife feels the same way too.

Just one question - is the storyline with Dany going anywhere (please don't give spoilers, just general yes or no, thanks)? It seems like a dead end storyline.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

LOL, no spoilers, but one of the big complaints about the books is that Dany's story doesn't seem to go anywhere for long stretches of time. It will go somewhere eventually, I assume.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

[quote=DocZaius]LOL, no spoilers, but one of the big complaints about the books is that Dany's story doesn't seem to go anywhere for long stretches of time. It will go somewhere eventually, I assume.[/QUOTE]

Well, you could say her story takes huge jumps and she really develops as a character. The ending to the last book was pretty dramatic as far as she was concerned. But she definitely has the slowest developing storyline.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

^ but she got naked in the pilot. That goes a long way, as far as I'm concerned.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

True, she did get naked in the pilot.

I just don't see her storyline going anywhere. As far as I can tell, she has about 30 in her group, and no visible support in Westeros. Yes, she has 3 dragons, which will go far, but she can't rule with those alone.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing Robb Stark as king. Something tells me that won't happen though. And I am wondering how Theon's actions will come back to haunt him.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

[quote=slideman67]True, she did get naked in the pilot.

I just don't see her storyline going anywhere. As far as I can tell, she has about 30 in her group, and no visible support in Westeros. Yes, she has 3 dragons, which will go far, but she can't rule with those alone.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing Robb Stark as king. Something tells me that won't happen though. And I am wondering how Theon's actions will come back to haunt him.[/QUOTE]

OMG there is so much that I wish I could tell you.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

I appreciate your restraint. Thanks. Just one thing - is the show going along with the books?