You got a problem? Tell us.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Anyone here use it? I am thinking about setting it up for my parents so we can do video chats with my son. Any good camera recommendation?
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Doc, I like the Microsoft 1080p Lifecam.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/sep10/09-13studiopr.mspx

It really has a great picture.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Post by radbag »

i use it in the office but don't know what camera's are used...

we do it at home on our macs...they iMac and the macbooks and the iphones all have built ins...it's easier just to use iChat...it's really an effective means of communication...my parents love it.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Well, la-dee-da, look at you, Mr. Fancy-pants Mac user!

I will look into that MS cam.

My parents' computer is getting a little old, but it handles email, word processing, internet and my mother's genealogy stuff just fine. According to Skype's page, HD video calls require a dual-core processor. I know they don't have a dual-core processor. Will it still work, at non-HD resolution? In that case, I should be able to get a less-expensive camera, right?
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

It should still work. Would they upgrade their PC in the future? If so, go ahead and get the nicer camera. If not, go with something cheaper.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

LOL Doc "la dee da!" That made me laugh.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I ordered a couple of highly-rated Logitech 720p cams from Newegg. I just didn't see the need for a 1080 cam, particularly when I don't think their computer can handle it. I think I found the right balance between affordability and features.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Now go find me a new DVD player that would be good for my family! LOL
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

Now go find me a new DVD player that would be good for my family! LOL
PS3
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

^^^werd. blu-ray and games
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Ha ha ha ha...I knew you were going to say that Manny...you say that to me every single time. I actually MAY have to get a PS3 because Bill just bought a Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift PS2 (I think) game for him and Nate. Nate is obsessed with that movie. Ha.
Okay, let's try this!

G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

So I just went to go look on Amazon for PS3 players...what is this "Move" thing? Is it like Xbox's Kinect? I"m guessing, yes. Has anyone tried it? They have a pretty good deal on a bundle that includes it, but I wonder if it's worth it.
Okay, let's try this!

MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Haven't tried it, but I would say it is more similar to Wii than Kinect. You still have a controller to move vs. just youself.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Okay, thanks 95!
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

So I just went to go look on Amazon for PS3 players...what is this "Move" thing? Is it like Xbox's Kinect? I"m guessing, yes. Has anyone tried it? They have a pretty good deal on a bundle that includes it, but I wonder if it's worth it.
the kids have Wii and they love it...the move thing hasn't really caught on yet for sony...kinect (it seems) has garnered alot of attention...sony's not aggressively marketing it...sony's developing a good library of 3D games as well...but not really marketing it.