disney's reporting today mom7

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
radbag

Post by radbag »

expecting a .38 earnings per share versus .47 last quarter

your thoughts? do we make expectations?
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

You know, I used to really be on top of all the Disney financial stuff...but that was when Eisner was running things into the ground. So far I have liked all the stuff Iger has done.

That said, what I CAN speak to is how our parks product is doing. We are still in the special offers mode and even though the park attendance hasn't been too bad, we are still trying to fill the resorts. And since I know Disney is usually pretty conservative in their predictions, I would guess that we would come in a point or two above .38 or very close to it. But that's just based on my experience with our marketing attorneys who will never allow us to promise something we may not be able to deliver on.
Okay, let's try this!

G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Just got our earnings summary today...will post later tonight.
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

Thx - I missed it earlier.

I don't follow them specifically...just use them as a bellweather as it relates to consumer confidence.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Dear Fellow Cast Member:
Today, we reported the Company’s earnings for the first quarter of our 2010 fiscal year. Diluted earnings per share were $0.44 compared to $0.45 in the prior year. Excluding items detailed in the footnote at the end of this letter, EPS for the quarter increased 15% to $0.47 compared to $0.41 in the prior year.
Overall, we are pleased with our first quarter performance, which was better than last year’s due in part to improved affiliate and advertising revenues at our media networks and better attendance at our Parks and Resorts.
At this point, though, we have limited visibility regarding the economy and its impact on our businesses and thus, we will continue to focus on controlling costs while creating great content and experiences and building our brands. We are also maintaining our focus on long-term growth strategies in a world of rapid technological change and evolving consumer behavior.

...(there was more). I think we are in serious hunker down mode still. I did hear a rumor that we are going to start fading away (can't think of a better term) from special offers and start doing our "affordability" message that we used to use ($1600 for a weeklong vacation...).
Okay, let's try this!

radbag

Post by radbag »

great color al....like the gubmint, everyone's easing off on the special programs that are designed to generate interest.

good numbers given the economic climate still...thanks!