Pretend & Extend: The Commercial RE Version

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

July 9 (Bloomberg) -- The $3.5 trillion commercial real estate market is a ticking “time bomb” that may lead to a second wave of losses at large U.S. banks, congressional Joint Economic Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney said.

About $700 billion in commercial mortgages will need to be refinanced before the end of 2010 and “doing nothing is not an option,” Maloney, a New York Democrat, said at a committee hearing today. This “looming crisis” may lead to significant losses for banks, force shopping center and hotel owners into bankruptcy, and impede economic recovery, she said.

The response by banks to this “growing threat has been slow and inadequate,” said James Helsel, a partner at RSR Realtors in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and treasurer for the National Association of Realtors. “The lack of liquidity and banks’ reluctance to extend lending are also becoming apparent in the increasing level of delinquent properties.”

There were 5,315 commercial properties in default, foreclosure or bankruptcy at the end of June, more than twice the number at the end of last year, with hotels and retail among the most “problematic,’ Real Capital Analytics Inc. said in a report yesterday. Losses on commercial mortgage-backed securities, or CMBS, will total 9 percent to 12 percent of the market, or as much as $90 billion, said Richard Parkus, a research analyst for Deutsche Bank Securities in New York.

But, hey, Goldman is using fraudulent accounting to book profits and pay themselves record bonuses, so it's all good, right?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTP9nCROB6PU
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

It's all good. ;)
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

I'm loving the "pretend and extend" meme...can't remember where I saw it start popping up, but it captures perfectly the problem with our limited efforts to affect meaningful change.

On topic: The banks have no clue what to do about CRE. It's hilarious to me that they thought we needed (or could effectively utilize) a shopping mall and box store cluster on every fucking street corner, with a couple hotels tossed in for good measure.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

The people want convenience and want it right next door (even though they will drive there).
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.